London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
7 messages
22/09/2012 at 14:44

Hi all can anybody recomend spuds for next year iv just received Kings catalogue and not grown spuds before iv got theperfect spud selector on the pc but always try for recoms,that more experienced have done so any help on first earlie salad spuds second earlies and main for roasting if that makes sence  hopefully 

Alan4711 cheers

22/09/2012 at 16:01

sometimes its easier to go on a site & order as you get idea what type of pots are good for boiling/roasting etc..there are descriptions... this year I had arran but poor crop & went to mush when boiled ...desiree were not much better... am going to go for a whites for next year...

22/09/2012 at 16:56

4711, May I recommend you take a trip up to Newcastle Emlyn in Jan/Feb to the Garden Centre where they will have up to 90 varieties in stock and an expert on hand for advice.  You will be able to buy potatoes singly out of sacks if that is what you wish, or in larger quantities.

23/09/2012 at 13:01

I grow every year:-

First early   ' Sharpes Express'  

Second early 'Charlotte' and 'Kestrel'(can also be left as a maincrop and makes good Jackets)

Early Main 'Juliette'

Maincrop 'King Edward' (multi purpose but makes good roast and chips)

And then always try one or two other first earlies,but have not found any to beat Sharpes for flavour.

It could be said that everyone likes something to their own taste,this selection it to our taste, and that certain soil types grow certain varieties better than others.

As stated above try find just a few of a few varieties and see what suits you best.

23/09/2012 at 13:11

cheers for that.. I love charlotte..will look at all names I get as do want to land up from main crop with a good boiler...

27/09/2012 at 17:37

many thanks Alan4711

05/10/2012 at 15:50

Hi 4771, I normally grown Kestrel as a second early which do very well and Cara as a maincrop which roast beautifully. Always seem to get a good crop with Cara and this year was no exception. Not necessarily huge quatities of potatoes per plant but really big potatoes and yummy yummy yummy. Once you find some you like, plant those as your staple but then choose another variety as a test, that way you get a crop of those you know you like and who knows you could be surprised and find other varieties to your taste.

email image
7 messages