London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
7 messages
16/08/2013 at 20:09

Hello all,

I have a very good crop of katy and scrumptious apples this year. I was wondering what the good folk here do with regards to storing them? In the past i've never had sufficient quality to need to store them but i'm looking at around 80 to 100 apples (compared with 5 last year!) so would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

16/08/2013 at 20:50

I know that you can cook Katy apples. I don't know about Scrumptious. I tend to make a lot of apple puree that I then freeze. You can use it in pies, cakes etc.

16/08/2013 at 21:09

You can store apples,

I do three things with my fruit,

(1) use in chutney, we have years supply of the stuff in sealed jars, the longer you can keep it the better the taste,And you can make some really nice home made chutney.

(2) apple / pear etc can be bottled  and used for later in the year ie christmas time

(3) if you've a freezer ? Apples can be cooked now and put into those tin containers and frozen, these are then used for crumble or apple pie filling anytime you feel the need.

(4) storing apples, get hold of one of those carbourd fruit box's you see in the supermarket (they'll give them to you as they only chuck them away)

Inspect each apple "only the best will store" any that are marked or are not in perfect state wont store.

Use old news paper and wrap each apple in the paper, place the apple on a bed of old news papers keeping each apple away from each other "just a little space between each one is enough,

when you've one layer of apples put the box in a cool "but not a place thats going to freeze" and out of direct light

I keep my stored fruit under my workbench in my workshop,

I have a look at the fruit every few weeks as sometimes some may rot and this can cause the good fruit to get damp and start to rot.

This may sound a lot to do but once you start you'll soon get the hang of it.

16/08/2013 at 21:45

I wrap my apples in newspaper and store them in cardboard boxes in the garage.

17/08/2013 at 00:07

Are these 'keeping' apples, because early apples are usually better eaten and not stored?  For example Worcester and Beauty of Bath are for immediate eating.

Check the varieties.  If you want to preserve early apples freezing, bottling, etc are best rather than wrapping them up and putting in boxes.  I don't know the varieties personally! 

17/08/2013 at 08:15

Thank you all! Both are early apples so may not store well but i'm keen to give it a go. Will try a mixture of newspapers and freezing and see how they take.

17/08/2013 at 12:07

Well ref "Welshonion reply,

It depends how long you want to store them early or other wise,

email image
7 messages