London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
7 messages
25/02/2014 at 14:23

A quick (and maybe a bit silly) question so apologies in advance!!  I want to grow my strawberries this year in hanging baskets and ordered the free ones from last month's mag.  My question is, should I have bought a special variety for hanging baskets (like you do tomatoes) or will any strawberries trail because it's their nature?

Not I huge problem if I've made a mistake as I will just put them in a planter instead but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

25/02/2014 at 14:41

Don't need a special basket for strawbs Tracy, any one will do.

25/02/2014 at 14:51

LOL Dave....not the baskets, the strawberries!!

25/02/2014 at 15:30

And I've grown ordinary strawbs in baskets, so ordinary strawbs in ordinary baskets looks the way to go 

25/02/2014 at 15:49

I did it with ordinary strawberries (hung the baskets off my apple tree and then walked into them every time I cut the lawn) And they seemed to do just fine - just remember to give them plenty of water!

25/02/2014 at 16:13

Which varieties would you recommend? The one's I've seen advertised all seem a bit big and blousy and maybe 'watery' to taste being 'new'. Are any of the old favourites in hanging form available?

26/02/2014 at 22:43

Hi Bio, I'm not in a position to recommend any varieties as I don't know enough about them.  The ones I have were free from GW and are Honeyoe (earlys) and Cambridge Favourite (mid), I may also get some lates just so we can have strawberries all summer 

Thanks for the tips everyone, I am getting baskets in the next couple of days and will get them planted 

email image
7 messages