London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
20/07/2013 at 02:08
little-ann wrote (see)
http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27856.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

i grew some in my greenhouse last year and over wintered them in there just stopped them drying out and have had a fairly good crop

Great idea, a strawberry waterfall...I really like this set up, definitely food for thought.

20/07/2013 at 02:30

I just thought of an idea that I'm going to think on further and perhaps even try, make a growbag tower somehow or even get some sort of tube, really wide bore, stand the tube vertically with root sized holes, if the tube were floor to ceiling you'd get tonnes of plants with very little space used.

Honestly my part of the garden is like a postage stamp, when I got my 8x6 greenhouse home, it would only fit one way, the garden I get use of is really that small.

Thanks little-ann for sparking ideas in my head, won't sleep tonight thinking about it, plus I've a feeling I'll ge on the look at for a large diameter pipe!

The growbag tower is interesting as well because as has been posted, stawberries ar really hardy and don't need any fuss so we can get away with almost any soil. I have seen these wee mini growbags from certian shops for 79p, if you stacked up a load of them in the corner, cutting a couple of big crosses in each on, top and bottom, you'd have a fine display and agiain it'd take no room up.

I see that strawberry plants are being sold as croppers right now, I thought they'd be finished by now. I went to a shop yesterday to get reduced strawberry plants for next year, they'd no old ones, just really expensive plants for planting and getting a crop off.

They must be confident that if they're planted now, you'll get a crop off them. It just shows how the seasons have changed, a good friend of mine, who loves her garden, said to me...holding on to tradition and doing garden tasks at set times of year, planting at set times with set things will frustrate you because the seasons have changed, better to listen to Monty, don't fight nature, go with the seasons. If it's a wet year, think wet year and so on....so doing what you should when you should has to be used as a guide only, we've to be more adaptable.

20/07/2013 at 07:52

that is a sort of tea trolly a friend was going to throw out because it was going rusty, it is on big casters so can be moved about. do you have a charity shop near you, might find something, good luck

20/07/2013 at 19:48
little-ann wrote (see)

that is a sort of tea trolly a friend was going to throw out because it was going rusty, it is on big casters so can be moved about. do you have a charity shop near you, might find something, good luck

I think this is a great idea.

I have a few ideas myself, I thought about a big bore pipe or old chimney, the pipe may be a bit industrial and ugly and getting an old chimney is dear!

I like your trolley idea but with the bags on top of one another, stacked up, I can get really cheap mini grow bags, where the compost isn't too rich and the strawbs will be right at home. I will go fairly high an poke the plants in here and there, making it look nice, I really like the idea of them cascading and taking up no space.

I also have a bare fence that is screaming..........I'D LIKE HANGING BASKETS ALL THE WAY ALONG ME!!!!! So I'm not going to argue.

I'm really struggling to find strawberry plants for sale, all the usual places in the town and even the more obscure places don't have any, am I, in my zeal, hunting at the wrong time? Anyway off top the car boot sale tomorrow morn, see if I can get some strawberry plants and some hanging baskets.

I went to every shop in the town except the garden centers, they'd have them but they're just so dear. So they are a last resort for me, It's hard to find a balance between make do and mend and keeping the garden nice and not paying through the nose for bits and bobs.

I'm an artist you know and a living one, I'll have money when I don't have any need for it...lol!

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages