London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
11/07/2013 at 22:01

A friend of mine grows more than a few strawberries in hanging baskets, in his greenhouse, they're off the ground, his reasons are that the slugs and snails don't go near them and he gets a crop a month earlier. Works for him.

To be fair though, he has a polly tunnel, and a lot bigger than my 8 x 6 greenhouse.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this because it seems to go against the grain for me. I feel they would be open to disease and hot house pests.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27248.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27249.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27250.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

James

11/07/2013 at 22:04

I think the majority of strawbs that you buy in supermarkets are grown in a similar fashion. Otherwise you wouldn't get them before wimbledon, like in the old days when there was always a panic as to whether the british strawbs would be ready for wimbledon.  British strawbs seem to be available from beginning of may these days.

11/07/2013 at 22:20

You are more likley to get earlier strawberries if grown in a polytunnel or GH but once the weather warms up they grow just as well outside and don't need as much watering.

I had a trough the same size as yours in the GH James. It was brought outside a few weeks ago and all the strawberries have now been picked. 

In a GH the fruit is more likely to go rotten due to the heat during the summer, hanging baskets will dry up daily so unless you have the time to water, once, sometimes twice a day it's not worth the effort in my opinion.    

11/07/2013 at 23:27

I'm grateful to both fidgetbones and Zoomer44 for taking the time out to chew this subject over and I have got something from both your comments, advice.

I don't think it's too late in the season to have a rethink, I'm really not comfortable having that big planter in my GH. Tomorrow I feel that major works are afoot.

I picked strawberries for a summer or two in Denmark back in 1997 and what I learnt is coming back to me.....Use straw, cut off the first fruits that appear and cycle the plants every 4 years. This farmer had 4 fields on the go at different stages. I'm going to put together all the bits and pieces that you guys advise and what I've learnt and make some changes.

I think I like the idea of hanging baskets along one side, I don't mind watering regularly. I will see if there's any runners on the big plants and deal with them. The mother plants have had their day, they're atleast 4 years old.

I'll post my changes later on tomorrow. 

14/07/2013 at 03:27

I moved all my strawberries out of the greenhouse yesterday morn, I wasn't comfortable with them in there. They had been out for a few winters and were quite old so goodness know what kind of health they were in.

Further to my question though, I thought the point about having a crop before Wimbledon was a good one, I'd never even considered that, why would you, anyway I'm going to set up a hanging basket rail. This really interests me. I have seen some centre beem eyelet fixings but there's a fair old weight going up so I'll take great pleasure in dvising a framework or other, see what's kicking around.

My thanks to the comments thus far. The reason I'm interested in growing strawbs in the greenhouse is because the summers in sw Scotland are usually cold and wettish so I think it's a good idea. To be fair, I will buy or get hold of new healthy plants, all mine are old and have had their day.

14/07/2013 at 17:12
I keep mine in the greenhouse, I have room as the greenhouse only went up a couple of month's ago. and it was a bit late in the year to plant what i wanted. ive planted some runners on from my stawberrys. I remember Monty saying the best crop comes in year 2 & 3 so i'm trying to always have plants in the 2nd year. Well thats what i want but im still a bit a nooby with the greenhouse.
14/07/2013 at 23:06
ZombieGardener wrote (see)
I keep mine in the greenhouse, I have room as the greenhouse only went up a couple of month's ago. and it was a bit late in the year to plant what i wanted. ive planted some runners on from my stawberrys. I remember Monty saying the best crop comes in year 2 & 3 so i'm trying to always have plants in the 2nd year. Well thats what i want but im still a bit a nooby with the greenhouse.

I've just got my greenhouse, loving it...see photos.

I will need totally new plants for next year, I'm not comfortable having them in the greenhouse because the plants are too old, probably full of disease. Wouldn't be surprised, don't even trust taking the runners off.

I will set a hanging basket system, gives me more space...I will have some outside on top of straw and under netting, I will sacrifice a couple for the birds, they have to live too and I like to see them dodging about.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27488.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27489.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27490.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27491.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27492.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

14/07/2013 at 23:19

jgmc3. It might be worth watching 'Beechgrove' a Scottish gardening programme. I live in the NW and find the programme really helpful because they grow stuff in a slightly colder climate than the English equivalent, ' Gardener World' which is broad cast a lot further south.

They've been growing strawberries undercover, in a raised stand rather than hanging baskets but don't run the strawberry bit every week.

When purchasing new stock, different varieties fruit at different times so having a selection will prolong your fruiting season.   

16/07/2013 at 15:22
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

jgmc3. It might be worth watching 'Beechgrove' a Scottish gardening programme. I live in the NW and find the programme really helpful because they grow stuff in a slightly colder climate than the English equivalent, ' Gardener World' which is broad cast a lot further south.

They've been growing strawberries undercover, in a raised stand rather than hanging baskets but don't run the strawberry bit every week.

When purchasing new stock, different varieties fruit at different times so having a selection will prolong your fruiting season.   

Thanks, I'd forgotten all about beechgrove garden, will start watching it. It's been fierce here the heat in SW Scotland, I can't imagine what it's been like for you guys, how are the water supplies doing?

I'm still fiddling with drip feeding and general irrigation, having a great time fiddling, trying to not spend too much but still do a neat job. Hose fixing need a good rethink in my opinion, this male and female business is old hat, there's got to be a more universal way. I always seem to have loads of one and none of what I need. Anyway a dragons den project for some one I think.

16/07/2013 at 15:25

I noticed that the strawberries in the greenhouse are far sweeter by a long chalk. Does anyone have any experience about this?

16/07/2013 at 19:32

Looks like a nice set up you have got going there jgmc3. this is my plant at the mo. I started with 4 early season in the top and four late seasons plants in the side's. So i know which were which and labeled them. I know they need a cold winter for better flowering next year so i might put them outside for winter, i can't make my mind up i dont think im going to heat the greenhouse this winter so they might be ok for this year to over winter them inside. I just dont know what to do. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27664.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

17/07/2013 at 08:46
Hi ZombieGardener, glass is nice and clean..
Strawbs in the greenhouse over winter, not sure. These are my thoughts.....
Against
I don't like to spoil plants, I feel they'd get flabby, as it were, no strength against diseases.
I think the winter winds and frost has alot to do with good health
If the plants get any diseases will it infect the greenhouse, might do.
For
The greenhouse is dead space in the winter so why not use it for something useful.
If you get the runners in to late, they'll get a better chance in the GH.
Anyway, that's my thoughts, I've overwintered runners in a pvc grow house, they seemed fine, different though because the grow house was pretty poor and I used to change them every year to combat viruses and diseases.
Thanks for the compliment, I've been working hard to get it all sorted out, really enjoyed the process.
James.

17/07/2013 at 12:34

My strawberriies have been out in all weathers at the allotment and whilst ive not had a bumper crop the ones i did pick were gorgeous , so much nicer than shop bought. I also have somr in baskeys against a west facing wall at home and they have been just as good. I guess its what suits you best. Raspberries are ripening now and think i may have eaten too many of them.

17/07/2013 at 21:24
Maud is in the garden wrote (see)

My strawberriies have been out in all weathers at the allotment and whilst ive not had a bumper crop the ones i did pick were gorgeous , so much nicer than shop bought. I also have somr in baskeys against a west facing wall at home and they have been just as good. I guess its what suits you best. Raspberries are ripening now and think i may have eaten too many of them.

We had a load of rain last 2 years and it's done my strawberries no favours, they are all in the compost, bar a few in hanging baskets. I'm going to buy new next year and perhaps put a few in the GH just to force them on a wee bit.

I used to work in Denmark, picking strawbs for a couple of seasons, those plants were out all weathers, I also worked in the bulb factories/glass houses in Holland, between the Hague and Amsterdam, that area. I never once so any strawberry greenhouses.

I tend to agree with what you say, Maud is in the garden, they're better outside, after all they're super hardy and seem to like to be hardened up.

Anyone know what strawbs take from the soil or put back, is the soil any good for anything else except the compost bin?

18/07/2013 at 21:00

I have four hanging baskets in the greenhouse that I planted last year. Despite this years weather I have been picking them since the beginning of June (I think). We ate strawberries every day and also have made two kilos into jam (we got fed up with eating them ). At the moment they are having a rest, but new flowers are growing so we will have more soon. I've had no problems with disease. I kept the baskets in the greenhouse over the winter, just watering them from time to time. I tidied the plants up in the spring and replaced the top soil.

18/07/2013 at 22:30

Hi Daisy Cottage,

I'm definately going to have a row of hanging baskets next year, interests me greatly, this summer is an exception so I'll have some outside and some in GH. My wife was pleased to hear that you had enough to make jam.

I look forward to picking the plants and organised the hanging basket system. Thanks for the encouragement.

19/07/2013 at 21:05

2 kilo's of jam daisy.. that must of been a bumper crop. Don't know what i've had but i ate them all about 3 min after picking them, still warm. yum

19/07/2013 at 21:24

my strawberries have been in large containers for over three years now. we had a terrible year (weatherwise) the last two years and just forgot to get rid of them. they sent out runners which took hold in the garden (well drained/sandy soil) and this year to my utter amazement, the pots produced loads of fruit -- not as much as two kilos but enough to keep me and OH supplied, and so did the plants in the garden. they were yummy !!!

i did absolutely nothing to either the pots or ground (no feed/water), let nature take its own course. am not sure what disease they pick up and to be quite honest (i'm ashamed to say) the pots are actually full of weeds, but still seem ok. i am inclined not to worry too much about them as even though i have an unheated greenhouse, only the tender pots get put in there for the winter.  

19/07/2013 at 21:35

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27856.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

i grew some in my greenhouse last year and over wintered them in there just stopped them drying out and have had a fairly good crop

19/07/2013 at 23:23

thats a nice set up of stawbs little-ann.

1 to 20 of 24 messages