Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Strawberry Plants - When Do You Cut Them Back?

Although I have some strawberry plants that are due to crop around September, We have some that we only bought in spring/early summer as plants, and now have clearly finished cropping. Do I need to wait for them to fade before cutting back, or can I do it now. If I need to wait, will they still need to be watered.  Thanks 

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

After fruiting and you can give them quite a severe haircut-that will promote fresh leaf growth-do not let them dry out

• Bob177Bob177 Posts: 43

Thanks Geoff, will do as you suggest. They are gonna have a haircut.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Watered? Where are you living?

• Bob177Bob177 Posts: 43

Hi Bookertoo, Two of the plants have been in the greenhouse, hence the question about watering. The others are in a hanging basket outside, and  very well watered, here in Birmingham.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I did wonder! I'm not so very far from you, just north of Nottingham, pretty soggy here too - tend to forget the greenhouse watering when everything else is soaked.

• My strawbs, about 18 months old now have finished but made few fruits and LOTS of leaves. Is this the weather or soil too rich or incorrect pruning ?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Could be too rich a soil-give them a haircut as well to promote fresh leaf growth-they will probably be fine next year