London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
7 messages
25/10/2013 at 10:23

I have grown tamella for years given to me by my Dad and kept going by the runners year on year.  The flavour is great but they do not keep once picked and have to be eaten  the same day.  Can anyone recommend a variety that keeps more than a day once picked and also has a good flavour?

25/10/2013 at 20:32

I grew four new varieties this year, will post there names tomorrow, if they still have their labels, it's too dark to go out now.

I tend to eat mine on the day picked but these were firm strawberries so would have thought they'd last a day or two. Can't say I've grown a strawberry which didn't taste nice

Alpine strawberries are an aquired taste though. I grew white strawberries this year but left them on the plant too long so they were a bit soft.

25/10/2013 at 22:29

Thanks Zoomer - Yes, we eat ours when they are picked, but if I know I can't get to my allotment for any reason it would be nice if I could pick some to be eaten the following day if you get my drift.  Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.  Thanks.

26/10/2013 at 21:03

The four new one's I tried are - Pagasus, crops June. Cambridge Favourite, crops June. Honeyoye, an early variety and Rhapsody, mid to late variety.

If you can't get down to the allotment to regularly pick them, the problem could be the starwberries are already slightly over ripe when you are able to pick. I've found shop bought starwberries soon go soft and need to be eaten the same day, probably becasuse they've been on the shelves a few days already.

Why not take two containers down to the allotment and put the firmer one's in a seperate container, these should last longer. 

26/10/2013 at 21:53

Good idea Zoomer - were all the varieties you list a good flavour?  The Tamella variety I've got crops in June so may be I could try the Rhapsody for 2014.  Thanks for going to the trouble of looking up the information for me  -  it's much appreciated.

26/10/2013 at 22:40

No probs.

I've also an established patch grown from strawberry plants given about 20yrs ago. They always crop well and produce some big, well flavoured  strawberries. In comparision though, the new one's were better flavoured but slightly smaller, shop bought size.

Honeyoye didn't produce any fruit, but did put out runners, so they've yet to be tried. The other three had excellent flavours, couldn't choose which was the best so planted up a new patch with the runners a few weeks ago.

Happy gardening and good luck with your strawberries next year. 

27/10/2013 at 16:54

I've looked up Rhapsody and it has very good reviews so I have decided to go for that one.  Thanks again for your advise.

email image
7 messages