London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
4 messages
15/08/2013 at 21:00

Having moved house I inherited some raspberries and after much research decided to randomly cut half of them down in February and leave half alone - trying to figure out if they would fruit in summer or autumn. Now I have become more confused!!!

The ones that were left have fruited, on spurs from old canes and also still has baby fruit for ripening on new canes

The ones that were cut down are now fruiting and also have new baby fruit for ripening, all obviously from new shoots

Have I just been lucky and got summer fruiting canes that are extending the season because I cut them down and they want to have a second go - or have I got autumn ones that have just had the right weather to start early because I didn't prune half of them?

So my dilemma now is (a) do I cut the fruited canes down now and thin and tie up new canes as per summer fruiting, or (b) cut them all down in February again as per autumn fruiting?

After hours of research this seasons raspberries are just not behaving in a very British manner!! 

15/08/2013 at 21:32

I am as confused as you are minimoomum. However, I would say, this autumn, after you have got as many fruits as you can, cut down to ground level any stems that are brown (i.e. last year's wood) and leave any that are clearly new growth.

15/08/2013 at 23:28

I think they are likely to be what are now called primocanes with a good example being 'Polka'.  They are really an Autumn fruiting variety but by doing as waterbutts suggests and cutting down only the fruited canes, you can get 2 crops per year from the one variety.  There is a short explanation in the first paragraph of the Polka ordering page at the RHS shop:

http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/fruit/bush/berries-etc/raspberry-plants/fruit-plants/fruit-and-nuts/cane-fruit/raspberry-polka-pbr/classid.2000011104/

01/09/2013 at 18:53

I planted some Joan J this year which are fruiting right now. The canes which are fruiting are shorter whereas those which have not fruited have grown to 2m tall and look very healthy. Should I still cut these plants down in Autumn or leave them for next year?

email image
4 messages