London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
14/05/2014 at 07:31

I have 2  20" square pots and was thinking of putting 4 sweet corn in each,is that too many,  should i just put 2 in each pot and the others in individual pots next to them.

I cant put them in my raised beds as there is no room left, next year i will leave space for them at the end where they will not block the light from my other vegetables.

Thanks John.

14/05/2014 at 10:18

John, you are supposed to grow them 18" apart, but I used the close bed system (more yield per sq. metre, less yield per plant) and usually plant them around 12" apart and they do fine. I would go for 4 per pot which will help with the pollinating too. They may need some feeding in pots.

14/05/2014 at 19:03

we grow our sweet corn in toilet roll tubes which protects the roots and then plant in a square so as they support each other.

14/05/2014 at 21:04

Thank you both,why do you need to protect the roots in a toilet roll ? I know you are meant to protect from birds/mice and rats,my boys will scare them off lol....As all 20 have grown that i sowed in 3" pots in the greenhouse i will try 4 per pot this year and the others in smaller pots next to them,they will be supported by canes and grown next to some trellis protected not from the wind but my youngest`s football

15/05/2014 at 00:52

Toilet roll tubes can be used instead of pots.  I use RootTrainers for sweet corn.  Same difference!

email image
5 messages