London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
15 messages
16/07/2013 at 20:03

Decided the other week I wanted to grow peppers so I salvaged some from a pepper from Asda. Left them in the window a while and planted them about a fortnight ago. 

So far nothing has appeared through the compost. Have I dropped a clanger?

i.e should I have just bought seeds or not dried them out in the window?

Cheers

George

KEF
16/07/2013 at 20:21

George I think it's too late to expect peppers from any plant that hasn't already got them growing on it. Mine won't make much as they are only thimble size at the minute. I set mine off indoors last week in March.

16/07/2013 at 20:32

Wasn't expecting peppers, just thought there might of been some sort of shoot poking its head out by now

KEF
16/07/2013 at 21:44

Hi George, I've not grow from shop bought peppers, but do get loads of self set tomatoes outside from what has gone in compost bin. This year both my peppers & chillies were very slow to germinate, I was blaming compost but others on forum had probs. Nothing to lose, give them a bit longer and see if anything germinates. Have you covered them with cling film or a plastic bag / or in a propagator ? That's what it said to do on my seed packet.

16/07/2013 at 21:56

It's a bit hit 'n' miss with shop-bought produce - you can never be sure of the provenance.  And the seed sounds like it isn't really viable.

My chillies and peppers are about 2ft high and in flower (in the GH) and are doing extremely well.  They were set in early March, and, given the long, cold spring, took a while to get going.  But they are doing very well now.

I wouldn't set any great store by peppers from a supermarket, which have been grown under glass (probably) picked before they are properly ripe (probably) and chilled to preserve their customer viability (probably). 

17/07/2013 at 06:56

Maybe a sterile variety? That said, I've never managed to get one pepper seed to germinate, ever

17/07/2013 at 07:18

George, pepper seeds always take a while to germinate, a lot longer than tomatoes, for example. I've often had to wait for a month or more.

It's also highly likely that the supermarket variety is a hybrid, hence the seeds won't grow true to type anyway.

17/07/2013 at 07:20

Oh well. Ill give them a bit longer and if nothing happens ill just have to try again next year and plant them at the right time haha. 

17/07/2013 at 08:16

hello my brother mananged to get loads of pepper plants from shop brought ones he started them off in a small heated propergator on his kitchen and bathroom window in I think May-june at the latest and he now tells me they did extreamly well both sweet and chilli peppers.

and I know that the longer they are on the plant they change colour and you can pick the whole plant and hang it in a warm room to continue the ripening proccess

17/07/2013 at 15:48

I have tried several times with seeds from shop bought pepper and chilli they always germinate but then they die from some mysterious disease or something when they are getting a bit taller. I had one plant give me two peppers only for them to stop growing before they were mature and they started to rot. The chilli is even worse they were growing fine then suddenly the leaves started to curl, the plant looks really yellow and not very healthy I get lots of flowers but the little chilli fruits dry and die and drop off. It's so de-motivating. I really love chilli 

17/07/2013 at 18:38

Maybe have to make some sort of propagator then as at the minute theyre just sat in pots outside

18/07/2013 at 07:35

comp, you could have had several issues. Where were the plants? Inside or outside? How often were you watering and fertilising?

18/07/2013 at 11:59

A friend gave me a pepper seedling about a month ago. He really likes those long sweet red peppers, and every year waits till they're on offer in the supermarkets, then uses the seed from them. It was a few inches shorter than the three I managed to get going early this year, so just plonked it in with them. This morning I noticed a 4" green fruit on it! All the others have flowered, but don't seem to be setting any fruit. Any ideas why this might be?

18/07/2013 at 12:10

Hi Figrat, try hand pollinating them with a small soft brush, gently dabbing it into the centre of all of the open flowers.  I do this every day and have an excellent fruit setting percentage.  They can self-pollinate but rely on wind and/or insects both of which are a bit sparse under glass.  Tapping the stems like tomatoes is also reported to work.  Once a fruit gets large enough for seeds to develop, flowering will often stop so you  have a choice of removing the larger fruit while it is still green and using it immediately or ripening it off the plant (which means they will continute to flower) or let the fruit ripen on the plants which gives much sweeter fruit but less of a crop.

19/02/2014 at 20:22

If anyone wants so pepper plants I have about 50 of them I planted for some seeds from the store. Now about 4" across and 1" high !!

email image
15 messages