London (change)
Mon 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
12 messages
26/02/2013 at 22:04
Grown wide range of veg but never shallots before. Got some on order. They seem straightforward enough, in theory, but are they? I've got 12 "bulbs" (?) so I guess they are spaced further apart than onions but otherwise need same treatment.
26/02/2013 at 22:44

Hi Verdun, Yes, the shallot bulbs will send out several shoots each and slowly 'split' with usually 6-8 new bulbs forming in a circle, so I grow them about 8-10 inches apart.  Like onions, they're greedy plants so give them plenty of feed.  I usually trowel a bit of fish, blood and bone into each planting position. Given a reasonable summer, they can produce a really good crop!

26/02/2013 at 22:58
I love shallots, especially in stews, so planted some last October. As Bob said they need spacing further apart than onions as they spilt and form 'clumps'.
26/02/2013 at 23:06

With onion sets I just push them into the prepared soil as they are small. Shallots are bigger so I plant them with a trowel leaving just the tips showing and I leave more room between them. They grow really well here. Rewarding to harvest.

27/02/2013 at 00:26

I'd get them going as soon as possible.  Christmas is the traditional time to plant them.

27/02/2013 at 08:25
Thanks for the advice. My shallots should arrive today so, Bob I thought I would cover them with fleece for week or so to prevent birds etc attackiing them.
27/02/2013 at 10:01

Shows I'm a bit on a different timetable to the UK. In Dordogne the winters can be very cold and the summers very hot, so I plant shallots March/April. In fact, the RHS says from mid Nov to mid March, so lots of flexibilty.

27/02/2013 at 11:25

one of the best crops to plant in my book, have you SEEN the price/kilo of shallots in the supermarket? It's essentially how I decide what to grow, the things we eat the most, and how expensive they are in the shops against the difficulty. I find shallots very very simple to grow, and they go great in caseroles stews, most things!! Plant in well prepared ground about 8-10 inches apart and keep watered and weeded, that's it!!

27/02/2013 at 11:29
I'm itchin and rarin to go now. Thanks. Expecting shallots in post so they will be in asap
04/03/2013 at 21:13
Learning Slowly talks of the price of shallots in supermarkets - what about the price of shallot sets in garden centres? At the current price,do ensure that you save a couple of dozen grown this year for planting next year - it's a bit like saving runner bean seeds - all being well you can sow for years at no cost.
04/03/2013 at 22:56

I don't even know the prices, I have been saving them, for planting,  from the previous year for years.

04/03/2013 at 23:05
Very sensible B- L!
email image
12 messages