London (change)
Today 18°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
101 to 120 of 128 messages
18/03/2014 at 13:30

I use my favourite nursery's own. It comes in a plain white bag, no brand name, reasonably priced, and it's lovely stuff. It's what they use themselves and has 9 months of plant nutrition. I use it for most stuff, potting, seed sowing, I like just sticking my hands in it as well, it's lovely, if a bit weird.

19/03/2014 at 19:54

After a total disaster last year with bags bought from my local farm shop I'm trying some from this supplier. http://www.compost-technology.co.uk/allpurpose.html

A colleague at work always uses them and we have shared a delivery. Not cheap but hopefully the yield will be worth it. 

19/03/2014 at 20:03

I use Levington professional M3. Its more expensive than the multipurpose stuff but its  really good.

18/02/2015 at 16:31

Come on gardeners world 

do some testing on potting composts

most of what I've tried is rubbish 

i only use Erin ,they haven't found anything to beat peat unfortunately 

most of what is sold as potting composts is so inconsistent 

ill stick to Erin but not many places sell it

18/02/2015 at 16:34

I use the compost from my local garden centre Ashwoods Nursery packaged in their own blue bags.  Its good stuff and never have a problem with it.

18/02/2015 at 16:40

My local garden centre stock Erin 70 litre 3 bags £12,99 plus I'm sure that I got 10% off on the Thursday reward card offer.

18/02/2015 at 17:00

I to have used Erin beside others, but last year it's texture was not as good as before, but I will give it another go as some of the others are just total crap, all this so called green nonsense from those who have little commonsense!

Against peat the rest are almost useless, I was given a lot of coir blocks by a gardening rep last year, which when soaked in water expand,they were supposed to be better than peat but as I have said were useless

Re Ashwoods, last year I was passing and called in, amongst other things I bought 3 bags of washed river sand, perfect, no smalls or fines just pure sand perfect for making my own composts up!

Only problem it's a long way there and back!

18/02/2015 at 21:21

Composts vary from year to year and from batch to batch.  Always a gamble until the quality is seen then tested.  

Mostly the available composts  are pretty poor I think.

19/02/2015 at 00:38

I have heard for a few years now, complaints over different composts especially bq, i have been using theirs for a good few years and had no problems whatsoever.It's 58% peat, which i have no problem using, Ireland burn tons of the stuff every year in their power stations, so i don't see why gardeners should go without.

I buy at least 12-15 125 litre bales of bq compost every year to grow veg in pots and in my polytunnel and have no bad results at all, which makes me feel the problem isn't national, maybe mine comes from somewhere local to me as others buy from my local store and have no complaints whenever i have asked gardeners who buy whilst i'm there.I have no affiliation with the store, my toms are growing under lights as we speak so it's fine for seedlings, i don't consider myself a "lucky" gardener either, i'd be a fool to buy it if it was no good, i don't know anyone else who sells compost with 58% peat added for such a low price for 125 liters either. I'm using the Bolton store for your information.

20/02/2015 at 19:03

Raymond how much is it a bale ?

DD

20/02/2015 at 19:18

It's a hit and miss situation every year I'm afraid.  For pots I mix in a little of sieved soil and grit.  

The mpc's though all attract vine weevils.  Perfect for them. 

nin
22/02/2015 at 16:55

I got back in the garden about three years ago so have been trying everything.

Tried mainly bowers and verve(big bags) first year and both great. Then i got some bowers with slug eggs in and thought verve is cheaper and then the next lot of verve was pants nothing would grow in it so dug it out and spread around the beds with some plant food.

Tried  bulk bags from a local supplier had one bad bag with bits of brick in complained so they apologised and gave me another free which was excellent .£60-80 for 800 litres depending on what compost you want and how many you buy.

This year seeds are going in John Innes I remember it from child hood and plants and bulbs in miracle grow. The miracle grow did give me a fright after the slug egg incident but it was just slow release plant food.

Its hit and miss buying compost, maybe split bags at a reduced priced are the best at least you know what your getting.

11/03/2015 at 12:20

Hi all! I've recently been using erin multi purpose compost from thecompostshop and have been seeing pretty decent results, I also bought my cheap multi purpose compost from there aswell and I found that the results were all in all great. I don't feel the need to try a different company as I am recieving great results from both products. Bring on the better weather! Happy gardening everyone. 

11/03/2015 at 13:00

I've been using Richmoor MPC for at least 3 years now and it does the job. At £2 for a 70L bag its a bargin.  If I need to I add bone meal and/or slow release fertilizer to boost the mix.

Only thing is though the shop that I buy these bags from no longer stocks them! Boooo. I've now ran out too . As a quick fix I bought a 70L MPC from B&M and now regret it, it's just full of twiggs & shredded wood. I'm hoping they will stock it again soon.

12/03/2015 at 13:35

Have to admit i've given up on non peat multi composts, for anything other than adding to boarders. So i pretty much exclusively use either my own stuff, or B&Q verve peat based based. I would use non peat if they were any good but they all are just full  of twigs and plastic, not what i want to be using on my veg beds for example.

12/03/2015 at 20:02

Notice how the bags are getting smaller, they used to be 120L then 100 then 90 then 80 last year 70 this year 50 and 40L?

Would not be surprised if they end up using 10L plastic buckets like with FBB!

19/03/2015 at 11:44

The best I can find is J Arthur Bowers MPC 100L 2 for £13.00.

More expensive than last year.

Any ideas where to buy better value MPC? I will need around 800-1000L.

Thanks

19/03/2015 at 12:12

I have noticed the big increase in fertiliser costs this year.  A 25 kg for £25.  Didn't pay that much last year.  We are in a strange situation here right now....cheaper petrol. Cheaper food but garden plants and sundries have gone through the roof?

19/03/2015 at 14:16

Hi I am having a go with miracle grow this year it professies to make plants twice as big. 2 for a tenner . I was going to splash out on tomorite grobags and thought 6 would be o.k.as giant bags but son in law said his toms didn't do well in them. Have you had any experience of either?

22/03/2015 at 21:45

I have tried grobags but were almost a total disaster with me.

As I work and some times have to stay late, on very warm sunny days when I arrived home and checked I found the tomato plants drooping for lack of moisture, this led to blossom end rot on the fruit!

I did not have the same problem at the same time with those planted in the GH borders!

Maybe if they had been looked after all day they might be different!

101 to 120 of 128 messages