Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The best multi purpose compost this year

Hi all i know alot of Gardeners have had issues with different brands of compost this year.Which compost do you all think was the best

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

I've wondered the same as I've noticed quite a few different brands this year have been very poor.

• yes leggi ive tried  miracle grow and j arthur bowers and both been rubbish

• Miss BecksMiss Becks Posts: 3,468

There was awhole thread discussing how bad some compost has been, mainly the B&Q stuff.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/bandq-mpurpose-compost-issues/2516.html

I've used Durstons Multi Purpose from day one, and it has never let me down yet. Lovely stuff.image

• I used Westlands and lots of stuff has not done well in it. But that could be down to the weather conditions. One thing I have noticed is that it does not hold the water well. I can water my pots and it just seems to run through. I shall try mixing MPC with soil next year and see if that makes a difference. The seed compost from them was rubbish as well, with a very poor germination rate even in the greenhouse. We just can't win!

• Annie5Annie5 Posts: 16

I find that Murphys compost is very good, but I tend to mix in some John Innis to it.  Unlike Insomnia73 I found B&Q compost not bad.  I also keep all my used compost and add to garden beds when pots have finished flowering, to improve the soil.

• Most times u get what u pay for, - I find that when watering pots, e.g. Toms, it's better to give a little water 2 or 3 times with maybe half hpour inbetween. Then the water and nutrients tend not to run out the bottom as much. Also I try not to let the pots get too dry as the compost draws away from the pot sides and lets water run through.

ASDA have some wetlands seedling compost on offer ( £1.50 for 20 Ltrs) it looks good so I bought 4 packs for next Spring and this Autumn.

• I have been using J Arthur Bowers and B & Q compost this year.  I know there has been a lot of people complaining about the B & Q compost but I have found it to be really good, I've had excellent results with it an no complaints.  Maybe they used a different supplier for a while and have changed again, I don't know.  Like the sound of the Asda offer, will look for that next time I'm in there.