Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The mystery of the closed greenhouse

Hello everyone, I hope you're sitting comfortably for a mystery that would baffle even Sherlock Holmes...

I planted some sunflowers in the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago and just as they emerged something tore in to them over night.  The stems were pulled up and the compost 'disturbed'.

Unperturbed, I planted some more.  Just as they were coming up the same thing happened.

Then again for a third time last night.

They are on a shelf about 3 feet high, in a green house with the door closed overnight.  What is attacking them?!!

You'll be pleased to know I've planted some more now and they are sitting happily on my window sill.  4th time lucky perhaps?!

• TonksTonks Posts: 54

Just realised this is in the fruit and veg section, silly me...!

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Mice, I suspect, looking for seeds?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Mice or voles.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I too would suspect mice.  The places they can reach are incredible - they are quite amazing little acrobats!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811

I once lost a whole tray of sweet peas seeds in exactly the same way and they were on a shelf high in the greenhouse...saw a little mouse in action  one time..little blighters.

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

I have field mice nesting in my GH, together with two frogs. I got over the problem by getting some plastic covers( I,m sure they have a name) to go over the seed trays. Fingers crossed and they have worked for a couple of years. Prior to that I only had seedling stalks and uprooted seedlings. I only realised that the culprits were these cute little darlings when I saw the nest and one of them !! So beautiful, but SOoo distructive eh!!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I swear by " little nipper" mouse traps. 

Devon.
  • TonksTonks Posts: 54

Thanks all for your thoughts, it seems like mice are the most likely cause although I'm still mystified how they get in and particularly why they ignored the open packet of sunflower seeds next to the pots!

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

Now that IS a mystery Tonks as I know that mice love sunflower seeds. Maybe other forum followers could throw a light on that!image

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

You didn't happen to win first prize in the local garden show's sunflower category last year did you?  And if you did, you didn't happen to catch the look on the face of the second prize winner?