London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
3 messages
03/12/2013 at 14:54

hi all,

I have an apple tree in my garden whose trunk is now about 80% hollow. One of the main branches is similar. It fruited pretty well this year but is clearly on its way out.

Should i chop and replace it now (i want to use the same/close by spot) or leave it until it died completely?

If I am replacing it, then by starting now I should have nice tree in 3-4 years rather than waiting another few years and then starting again?

03/12/2013 at 18:16

Many years ago, an old Norfok man told me that to regenerate an apple tree, shoot it on the side opposite the dying area. At the time I was living in London and my apple tree was dying. But the thought of going into a rough looking pub and taking out a contract on my apple tree was more than I could handle, so don't know if this would work!

03/12/2013 at 18:36

Hiya blue baron.

Two issues here.  Yes remove the tree ASAP.  No choice.

I would not plant another apple there.  There are many problems planting most things in same spot.

However, if you are determined I would try to avoid the exact same spot.  I would dig out as much soil as possible .....can you excavate a few barrow loads from elsewhere to exchange?

Why did your tree die?  Do you know?  Research your replacement tree to plant a disease resistant variety and one suited to your area. 

Deacons nursery is a good source for new fruit trees.  They give advice and supply a large range of trees on different rootstocks.  You could buy a 3 year old tree, for example, enabling you to secure your own fruit in 3 or 4 years.  

email image
3 messages