Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

tomato plants

My baby tomato plants have grown to about 4inches tall and then are wilting and dying, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They are a basket variety  Maskotka. I am also growing sungold and gardeners delight which seem to be ok at the moment.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Is there any chance that they are too wet? Seedlings like to be moist, but not wet.

Where are you keeping them? Baby tomatoes need reasonably mild temperatures.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    samshoward wrote (see)

My baby tomato plants have grown to about 4inches tall and then are wilting and dying, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They are a basket variety  Maskotka. I am also growing sungold and gardeners delight which seem to be ok at the moment.

Where are they? -if they are outside- too cold and wet.

• they are in my hall near a window so they are not too cold, I didn't think they were too wet but I will hold off on the watering and hopefuly save the rest of them, I am watering them the same as the other varieties but maybe they don't need so much.

So still inside then-that is good.

Are they in individual pots?

What sort of compost?

• they are in individual pots and just a general purpose compost.

Then you seem to be doing everything right- did you bury the stems deeper in the pots up to the seed leaves?

• Yes I did that aswell so maybe it is just the watering that I need to adjust. Thanks for your help.

• hello im a newbiebut have you feed them with tomorite  ive got baby plants andi feed them once a week

Do not feed tomatoes with anything until the first truss has set-you are just promoting leafy growth at the expense of flowers.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731
    samshoward wrote (see)

they are in my hall near a window so they are not too cold, I didn't think they were too wet but I will hold off on the watering and hopefuly save the rest of them, I am watering them the same as the other varieties but maybe they don't need so much.

Toms' water requirements don't vary according to varieties. It's always best to let the mix dry out completely between waterings. It won't hurt baby toms in the slightest; in fact, it will do them good. They shouldn't be pampered.

If the strugglers and the ones that are fine have identical conditions, the ones that are struggling might well have suffered a setback of some sort earlier in their short lives.