London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
7 messages
20/08/2013 at 11:01

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29583.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

a few of my cherry toms have got these black patches on the fruit and the leaves. The fruit made me think blossom-end rot, the leaves blight - but this is only on a few fruit on one plant - which makes me think not due to irregular watering, and while those leaves dont look great, it's just the lower ones and the plant itself looks healthy  the leaves have been like that for weeks too. any wisdom would be appreciated!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29584.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

20/08/2013 at 11:33

It's not BER, Bf. It's not blight either. That sort of purpling of the leaves is usually a sign of plant stress of some sort. I've had those sorts of patches on some of my toms this year. They're in the ground and temps have been in the 40sC.

What sort of temps are the toms getting and what's your watering regime?

20/08/2013 at 12:14

i,ve grown tom/s for years and that one,s a new one to me.i hope someone can pinpoint this for future referance. cheers wrinkly1

20/08/2013 at 13:22

Actually, I first noticed the mottling on the leaves (on the fruit I only noticed it yesterday) when it got v hot here (for the UK!) a few weeks back - daytime C temps were in the low/mid 30s, nighttime not much below 20. Last few weeks has been different, daytime more like early 20s, nightime low teens - and it's been quite damp, which is why I've been on blight alert, but this didn't quite seem to fit that bill.

Watering-wise, generally every 2/3 days when it's been dry - a bit more often when it's been hot. Tomato feed once per week.

That particular plant does sit in the sunniest spot of the garden, facing due south. The odd thing is the majority of the leaves on the plant look normal and overall the plant seems healthy.

I took off one branch and tomato to get a decent photo for you but do you think I should remove any other affected leaves/fruit?

To be honest, good to hear it's more likely to be stress as my fear was it would be something more contagious!

20/08/2013 at 13:30

It sounds like the plant has copped a bit in terms of climate. I think that's probably the problem. I wouldn't take off any more foliage except, if need be, to keep the air circulating to minimise fungal problems.

I'd compost the blemished fruit. The blemish will probably only get bigger and deeper.

They shouldn't need fertilising every week. Toms do best when left to cope for themselves and even struggle a bit. I'd cut it back to every couple of weeks at most.

20/08/2013 at 13:38

Great, thanks as ever!

As it is, I'm reasonably forgetful with the tomato feed so I suspect as you say it was that last hot spell that did it. Just to the one plant by the looks of things, fortunately.

They're forecasting another spell of high temps here in SE England (in the 30s again by the weekend). What would you advise re watering regime in those sorts of temps?

Mine are individually in 25 litre containers, by the way.

20/08/2013 at 17:52

It's best to forget about temps, per se, and just water when required, which means monitoring. They will need more water in warmer weather, obviously, but the mix should never be permanently damp. It has to be allowed to dry out.

I've got a spare Cherokee Purple plant - grown from a cutting - in a container on the terrace purely to save seeds from this year. The pot is smaller than 25L. It's in full sun for most of the day and the temps have been mid- to high-30s. I don't necessarily water it every day. I don't leave it bone dry for two or three days but I let it dry out.

email image
7 messages