London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
41 to 59 of 59 messages
02/04/2013 at 15:45
If push comes to shove I will end up with mine staying in conservatory, but I don't want my lovely farrow and ball cream table to get yellow Tom stains so may mean a home move about!! I'm staying hopefully that all will be ok. Don't panick Captain Mannering!!!!
02/04/2013 at 16:36

Planted mine in a windowsill propagator on Friday and the first 3 came up today

The germinated ones all happen to be Sungold (I have 8 different types on the go.)  Must say I've been impressed with Sungold for the last 5 years or so that I've been growing them as they are always the first to start ripening, the last to finish cropping and are one of the sweetest and tastiest of all the types I have ever grown - top marks on all counts!

02/04/2013 at 16:56
I grew sun gold last year and only one I got a crop from. Rest were cut from plant and ripened indoors as I thought they were going to sit there for ever!!
02/04/2013 at 17:00
Bob, so Sungold would be good to grow then? Pleased cos I've got some plants on order
02/04/2013 at 17:14

I've seen people be a bit sniffy about Sungold in the past but I've never understood why! I think they grow well, even outdoors with the vagaries of the British climate, and are an excellent cropper.

02/04/2013 at 18:04
I love Sungold! I pricked mine out yesterday so they are only tiny.
02/04/2013 at 19:00

Verdun, yep - I usually grow a few outside too.  Although last year was terrible for outside toms (and none too brilliant for those in the GH!), the Sungold were the only ones to provide any fruit outside.

02/04/2013 at 20:32
Thanks bob. Pleased to hear that
03/04/2013 at 09:27

My only problem with Sungold is that I find them too sweet. They also tend to split.

@ Dove

Start them earlier and keep them warm!

06/04/2013 at 23:12
I have separated my seeds from the mould/scum water and put out to dry. How long would you give them before spreading on a seed tray of compost??
07/04/2013 at 09:37

Italophile - nowhere to keep them warm other than windowsills - but Hurrah!!!! the first little Jaune Flamee has peeked it's head out of the compost 

07/04/2013 at 10:09

Dove - congrats! You're going to be a mother. You could always put them under a couple of desk lamps or similar with the globes set an inch or so above the babies. That's what I do in the absence of the real thing.

Our weather has taken a small turn for the better, temps getting up into the low teens and some sun. The babies are all outside on the terrace. They're still a bit lanky and pale after the absence of decent sun and warmth but they should recover.

Red Dahlia - you can use the seeds as soon as they're dry.

07/04/2013 at 10:36

It's ok Italophile  - spring has sprung here too - we have bright sunshine and temperatures are rising - nothing like as warm as yours  but I'm not stressing about what I'm going to do with the toms once the outgrow the windowsills quite as much as I was - if the temperatures return to seasonal norms by the middle of the month as promised they'll be fine outside in the growhouses by then - fingers crossed 

08/04/2013 at 08:05
Any views on 'leggy' seedlings? Some of my seedlings I put in propagated seed modules. Some others, I just threw lots in some 3" inch pots and put on a windowsill. The former germinated much more quickly (within about four days) but look pretty leggy - tall and spindly. Whereas the seeds that were more of an afterthought appear shorter and sturdier. Typical.
08/04/2013 at 09:42
Well I sowed 6 different varieties from left over packets of seeds that I have used over the years. Almost all have come up, some better than others. The only no shows are minibel - well there is one let's see if it survives and if so whether it is nice.
It is always best to have more than you need to cover for losses...and there are always losses - slugs, weather etc. and it is nice to give away any you really don't need.
Mine are sitting in my unheated greenhouse but if we have no sun I shall have to move them back indoors to the windowsill above a radiator which is the only place they would germinate.
Here's looking forward to sunny summer days when we can potter round the garden snacking on beautifully warm sweet tomatoes
11/04/2013 at 20:27

Well, of all the seeds you so kindly sent me Italophile, I seem to have got almost 100% germination  Very many thanks - now we need the warmer weather by the time they're too big for the windowsills. 

11/04/2013 at 21:09
My piccolo haven't shown their heads yet!
12/04/2013 at 13:21
Bf206 wrote (see)
Any views on 'leggy' seedlings? Some of my seedlings I put in propagated seed modules. Some others, I just threw lots in some 3" inch pots and put on a windowsill. The former germinated much more quickly (within about four days) but look pretty leggy - tall and spindly. Whereas the seeds that were more of an afterthought appear shorter and sturdier. Typical.

The former germinated quicker because the conditions were more conducive. Beyond that, legginess is related to light or the lack thereof. Probably those on the window sill are/were getting better light.

12/04/2013 at 13:23
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Well, of all the seeds you so kindly sent me Italophile, I seem to have got almost 100% germination  Very many thanks - now we need the warmer weather by the time they're too big for the windowsills. 

Goodoh, Dove, I never have too many germination problems. Some of those seeds are close to 10 years old now.

email image
41 to 59 of 59 messages