London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 2°C
41 to 45 of 45 messages
02/09/2014 at 22:24

I'll double check the name of the tomatoes tomorrow when I can get to the GH.  I'm convinced in my own mind (but don't take it that that's anything to go by - memory not what it used to be ) that it's Aikido, and, yes  I also thought of unarmed combat of the oriental variety!!  The plants are good and healthy, and perhaps I have to look over my shoulder from time to time to see that they aren't about to attack me.

I recall that they were listed predominantly as indoor variety, but I popped a couple of spare plants outdoors in a very sheltered, warm spot, and they've done OKish, but nothing like as heavy a crop as in the GH.

I don't know how to describe a taste, Philippa - they're not as sweet as Gardeners' Delight (which I eat like sweeties) but they do have a good old-fashioned tomato taste, unlike the poor specimens the general public has to put up with in the shops!

04/09/2014 at 17:08

OK - not sure whether or not I should post this on the Senior Moments thread - but the tomato that I was talking about upthread I called Orkado

Suttons seeds F1 - packet says: "Delicious medium size fruits, for greenhouse or outdoor growing" 

Cost was £2.99 for 10 seeds, but I had 100% germination, good healthy plants and no cultivation problems.                                   

04/09/2014 at 17:21

SViolet.......thanks for the info

04/09/2014 at 20:45

Yes thanks SViolet...I'll keep an eye out for these for next year 

04/09/2014 at 21:29

I have a spreadsheet of tomato varieties if anyone's interested.

email image
41 to 45 of 45 messages