Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomato truss broken

image They'll ripen in a dark place though?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Hang the truss up, it will ripen; probably.
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

How frustrating!  Yes they will ripen.  Hang them in the kitchen, say, with plenty of air circulation and they'll ripen ok.  (This is what I do at the end of the season when the last ones are cut from the vine before the cold weather.)

Alternatively, put them with a ripe banana, and they will ripen more quickly. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Thanks guys.I was disappointed because if I hadn't been messing about with the plants it most likely wouldn't have happened. The plant in question was leaning quite a bit so I was trying to straighten it up image I've hung them up in the kitchen  image

Fishy - we've all been there!  "Just" straightening/tidying something or another, and then finding we've presented ourselves with another problem!  Quite often, it can be overcome, so best of luck!

btw I grow my outdoor toms in troughs supported with canes that are connected with cross-pieces (if that makes sense).  I gives them strength, and they are pretty robust.  Mind you, with the air turning a lot, lot colder, even though the benign Somerset ought to be OK, I've taken the precaution of throwing a bit of fleece over them for tonight!  I'm picking pounds of the fruits, and would hate to see all my hard work undone by a bit of unseasonal weather!

Philippa - Porlock, West Somerset.  No frost predicted (Porlock Vale has its own micro-climate anyway) but temps down to about 3 or 4.  Just a bit too cool to risk it, I think.  The fleece will  help to keep the coolness at bay, I hope.

My GH chillies are doing very well - do you have a good recipe for chilli sauce that I can use?  I was going to freeze them, but a good sauce sounds just the job.

I'm in Northamptonshire and a low of 9c predicted for tonight. One thing I won't be doing is touching the plants from now on,still lots of toms on there and some a more yellowish colour. Ironically the broken truss isn't the heaviest by the look of it,but I've been looking at 'green tomato' cake,relish,chutney,soup or fried.

SViolet - that's Porlock with the vertical roads isn't it? That view from county gate across Exmoor is just stunning!!

Green tomato recipe Philippa? image

Fishy - yes Porlock has the steepest "A" road in the country, I believe, with a wicked hairpin bend as well!  Even the toll road - slightly less steep - is a bit of a challenge.  But the moors are wonderful, and at the moment are clad in deep purple heather.  The sweeping views across the moor and over the Bristol Channel are amazing.

I think I have a good recipe for green tomato chutney somewhere - I'll try to find it for you.  And Philippa, thanks - I look forward to a chilli sauce recipe tomorrow. 

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

I do like a nice blackberry with double cream image ! 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Ugh! the lot of them IMO.