18 messages
01/03/2014 at 17:12

What Tomato Varieties do you normally grow outdoors? I had success with Principe Borghese last year, but I know last year was a very good weather year...

I have the following free seeds from mags so would be interested to know if you've grown them outdoors (or any other varieties);

Moneymaker

Gardeners delight

Ildi

Red Pear

(the cold GH is already allocated to Soldacki, Cuore Di Bue, Sungold, Suncherry premium and Anna Russian & peppers - all from suggestions on here)

I might try and make some sort of blight (rain) shelter for the outdoor toms

01/03/2014 at 19:03

I'm trying

Latah Very Early Red Tomato & Urbikany Tall Bush Tomato.

You can read about them here. Supposed to be very good in colds climates.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes_bush.html
01/03/2014 at 19:08

I've grown the first two (moneymaker and gardener's delight) outside successfully, Mandy.  They do need to be kept in the cold GH for a while though of course.  Good plan to give them a bit of shelter when they go out.

01/03/2014 at 20:24

We grew Gardener's Delight outside last year.  I planted the seeds late on - they were out of date, so I just thought I would plant and see what happened, and got about 10 plants.  I grew them on in pots.  Not easy when we went on holiday for 9 days in August - put them in the shade behind the shed and put upside down bottles into the compost in the pots filled with water.  They made it.  They fruited rather late, but were pretty prolific - far more than we needed.  But we did have a warm year here.  Not sure what would have happened in the previous two summers.

02/03/2014 at 08:52
Mandy-Newbie2013 wrote (see)

What Tomato Varieties do you normally grow outdoors? I had success with Principe Borghese last year, but I know last year was a very good weather year...

I have the following free seeds from mags so would be interested to know if you've grown them outdoors (or any other varieties);

Moneymaker

Gardeners delight

Ildi

Red Pear

(the cold GH is already allocated to Soldacki, Cuore Di Bue, Sungold, Suncherry premium and Anna Russian & peppers - all from suggestions on here)

I might try and make some sort of blight (rain) shelter for the outdoor toms

Mandy, don't bother with a blight (rain) shelter. Fungal spores travel on the breeze and there's no way of intercepting them. The only way to keep a plant dry outdoors is to enclose it and, in doing so, you reduce air circulation, one of the few natural helping hands against fungal disease.

02/03/2014 at 18:43

I usually grow Gardeners Delight in the gh but last year I had a bumper crop from seeds that grew out of a mulch from my compost heap. I transplanted them into a different bed and they cropped far better than those inside. While I don't eat them myself my family eat them like sweets.

02/03/2014 at 19:40

Sounds like Gardeners delight and money maker are the way to go for this year then (must stop self from buying more seeds!), I'm aiming for a glut of tomatoes, I miss them the supermarket ones just aren't the same. 

Thanks for the tip about the rain shelter Italophile, I'll try location and pruning to delay blight instead.

02/03/2014 at 19:42

Andrew I've heard good things about Latah, might grow it next year

03/03/2014 at 08:01

Mandy, if they're outside, give them as much space between plants as you can, try to keep a gap of around 18" between the lowest foliage and the soil, and nip out excess foliage that looks like clumping together and hindering air circulation. Keep the foliage as dry as you can and nip off and destroy any leaves as soon as they show any tell-tale signs of wee spots with dark rings around them.

The common fungal diseases in the domestic tomato garden - eg, Early Blight and SLS - are a hindrance much more than a death sentence. With a helping hand, the plants cope and live their usual lives.

03/03/2014 at 10:44

We had gardeners delight and money maker last year in big pots. We didn't have to buy tomatoes all through summer there were so many. They weren't the best tasting things in the world but a constant crop. This year I'm trying sungold, the seeds should arrive today.

03/03/2014 at 10:58

For the last two or three years I've grown Red Alert (bush tomato, for pots) outside - I've found them very healthy, very productive, and very delicious.  Excellent germination rate, too - I only needed four bushes and had thirty healthy plants!

09/05/2014 at 10:27

Yellow Stuffer and Tigerella have both done well outdoors.

Last year when we had some very hot spells, the ones outside did as well as the ones in the greenhouse.

09/05/2014 at 11:35

Given that outdoor varieties of tomatoes are more prone to the dreaded blight, I would grow varieties that offer some blight resistance......'Ferline' is very good in this respect.

However, the end result depends what kind of summer we get.

09/05/2014 at 17:10

I have found that Sungold don't seem to get blight as much as some varieties.

11/05/2014 at 05:49

I had the free gw sungolds last year, all outside, and had so many it was hard to keep up with them. This year I'm doing 8 different varieties, again all outside as I want to extend the season. At the mo they are all tiny and growing on in the greenhouse.

11/05/2014 at 07:05

hi fellow gardeners guess i will be needing your help this year.

i used to be able to bounce all my garden question off my mum but we sadly lost her in October.

i have taken over her allotment we are digging it all over and letting it rest this year i hope to green manure it asap.

now my tomato question is

i have completely cleared a long polycarbonate shed and planted 60 tomato plants already doing really well the Roma is coming into flower i know when to feed but as i don't get any flying insects in the poly shed do i have to tickle them my self with my trusty paint brush or will they sort themselves out.

my other tomato in the poly shed is gardeners delight

its a bit of a panic planting as i felt the need to grow something this year.

cheers all

11/05/2014 at 07:42

Won't hurt to give the flowers a flick with your fingers or a brush with your hand as you go past to help their self-pollination process along.

11/05/2014 at 10:18

Tgerrella is a good outdoors tomato too

email image
18 messages