London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 45 messages
09/05/2014 at 09:26

OL- if you imagine that the  branching stems which carry the flowers/fruits are at roughly 90 degrees to the main stem, and the sideshoots come off at approximately 45 degrees to the main stem, in between the other two. As others have said, when you pot on to the next size, just plant deeply to get that bare stem covered a bit more. 

And don't worry 

09/05/2014 at 09:33
Lyn wrote (see)

I grow Roma, you dont pick out side shoots of those, they were fantastic last year, I still have some in the freezer.

OOh that's useful to know! Thanks for that (I haven't taken any side shoots yet - kept chickening out!)

09/05/2014 at 09:43

Woops, yes, it looks as if you have taken off some lower leaves too. But that is not a problem if (as others have said) you plant it a bit deeper next time, and ti will put out extra roots from the buried bit of stem.

09/05/2014 at 09:55

OMG....I'm just rubbish!!!  I still have 6 more to do so need to get this right.

I shouldn't have cut off the long 'side branches' (can't think of a better way to describe them) but should have only taken off the little shoots that were coming off them?  Is that right.....I think it is??

If so, then I'll do the others later and learn from this one 

09/05/2014 at 09:55

PS Thanks for your patience 

09/05/2014 at 10:05

Right here we go, fingers crossed I've got it right.......

Before -

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45213.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

After -

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45214.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Thanks again 

09/05/2014 at 10:06

Nobody ever learns by getting it right every time, you havent done any damage, the plants will be fine.

Have a look at one of your other plants, where the leaves come out from the main stem there will be a small 'sideshoot' growing at @45 degrees, this is the bit you remove. You dont need to panic though as they dont have to come off straight away, its just easier to remove when they are small.

I would You tube 'removing tomato sideshoots', its always easier to follow it that way.

09/05/2014 at 10:09

Difficult to be sure from the photo, but it looks to me as if the larger lower bits you cut off were actually just single leaves rather than new shoots. I don't think the plants would have big side shoots at this stage. Don't be in a hurry to take off any more - let them grow on a bit and they should make themselves a bit clearer.

Just seen the new post, PERFECT.

One thing to remember is that you might get another sideshoot grow from the same spot, just do as you have just done

Ahhh , thanks Scroggin. I think I've got it now  It's no wonder I've never had success with tomatoes before, I've been taking off the wrong bits 

09/05/2014 at 10:10

Thanks again everyone 

09/05/2014 at 10:10

Aha, I've just seen your new pair of photos. Ignore my post above, which relates to your first attempt. Yes, that looks right to me, I think you've got it!

09/05/2014 at 10:17

Yes, my first attempt went slightly wrong  I've got it now, at last so won't ask again!

Are tomatoes the only fruit/veg that needs pinching out? 

09/05/2014 at 10:41

I can't think of anything else that needs side shoots removed.With peppers and chilis, you do the opposite - pinch out the tips to encourage more side shoots and more fruit.

Some plants (including upright tomatoes!) can be "stopped" later in the year by taking off the growing tip. This allows the fruits etc already formed to ripen properly, rather than go on into the cooler weather producing stuff that will never ripen. I think you can do this with some climbing beans, and possibly courgettes, squashes  and cucumbers. But it's not essential for these, and I don't usually bother unless the plants are getting reallly cumbersome.

09/05/2014 at 11:05

By George - I think she's got it! 

Don't worry OL - we all do things which we would have done differently if we'd had the right advice. That's why this forum is so helpful. I can't tell you how much I've learnt from the lovely people here.

I'll just tell you the story (or as well as I remember it) that AT used to tell people when he started his horti. career. He was sent to disbud plants in one of the greenhouses. He removed every bud from all the plants - thousands of 'em.

09/05/2014 at 11:28

Far be it for me to complicate things anymore than they need to be, but a classic mistake made by even experienced gardeners is to remove the growing tip by mistake...it is an upright side-shoot, growing in a different place of course.

So until you get the hang of it proper, just remove side-shoots from between lower leaf joints.

OL, that's a cracking little tommy plant, btw.

09/05/2014 at 13:48

Ha ha FG, someone yes it takes a while 

Remove the growing tip......whoever would do such a silly thing, certainly not me ever LOL 

Thank you David, I have 7 of them living happily in the GH 

09/05/2014 at 16:31
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

Ha ha FG, someone yes it takes a while 

Remove the growing tip......whoever would do such a silly thing, certainly not me ever LOL 

Thank you David, I have 7 of them living happily in the GH 

Bask in the glory of your success at the mo, OL.. .but later on in the season you may get a situation where your plant/plants will develop two growing heads/tips and you may get puzzled as to which one to retain....or you may wish to keep both, but that's for another day.

09/05/2014 at 17:11

Did you remove the eggs as well? 

But seriously folks, I bought a Black Cherry tomato plant t'other week intending to use the sideshoots as cuttings and it seems to have read my mind!  It's produced a load of sideshoots, all of which grew really fast.  They're all in a glass of water now and when they get some roots I'll pot 'em up.  And it's flowering

09/05/2014 at 20:16

I had to think about that one D tele but get it now LOL.....I did say it takes a while for things to sink in 

David, not basking in glory, it was slightly tongue in cheek as I have made that very mistake!!  I only now realise why my plants didn't grow very well 

21 to 40 of 45 messages