Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoes. Do I have the dreaded lurgey?

Hi guys. My first time with tomatoes. They have been rubbish. But these two plants have looked OK, lots of fruit which refused to ripen, so i remained patient. Now the stems have brown blotches. And some of the fruit. Should I throw the whole lot on the heap and go to ALDI (69p / Kg)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

Looks like blight on the stems. Mine had blight early July, everyone says it's fatal and infectious. I sprayed and sprayed with something I got in the GC that said it wouldn't stop you using the fruit and the blight has stopped. The stems still have brown patches and the earlier tomatoes weren't much good, but all the tomatoes that didn't have it have been fine and I've had a reasonable crop. Plants have grown new green leaves too. I picked all the brown ones off.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • My toms had the same thing, blight, I read that it was a perfect year for blight humid and warm, its the same as for potatoes and I noticed the farmer has sprayed many times for blight next to our house.  They say you should not put on compost heap but bag up and take to land fill otherwise the fungus spreads, image

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Doesn't look good, Wakou, sorry. Don't compost them whatever you do. Bag them, dispose of them.

• It's safe to eat any of the fruit that looks Ok, but it probably won't store.