London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
8 messages
23/04/2014 at 16:35

How do you make the cane stand up in a gro bag so that it will support the tomato plant. The gro bag is on hard standing in a greenhouse

23/04/2014 at 16:44

Hi Jane, I don't use growbags but many people  use a string tied to the roof of the greenhouse instead of a cane  and you wind it round the string as it grows. The other end is is in the bag and the plant holds it in place.  Or you could use one of those 'bottomless' pots for tomatoes which is inserted into the bag - it gives a greater depth of compost for the plants. You could then have the cane in that. If you don't want to buy those, you could make your own using a plastic pot with the bottom cut out 

23/04/2014 at 17:20
You can buy frames for grow bags that will support plants. I prefer to grow tomatoes in pots in the greenhouse and I fix the canes to the greenhouse frame so that they don't lean over.
23/04/2014 at 18:16

I used to tie a string to the base of the tomato plant and then tie the top to the bars on the roof but now I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Grow-Bag-Cane-Frame-Triple/dp/B000TASQHU 

They work well for me but are a bit fiddly to install.

23/04/2014 at 20:34

Fg; please tell me what you can tie the string to in a Halls Silverline Costafortune with no after sales service Greenhouse?

I was looking at it today and thinking ;I will have to drill holes in the aluminium struts or use clothes pegs? There is absolutely nothing to fasten anything to.

24/04/2014 at 08:49

Thank you for all your help. It has given me a few ideas.

24/04/2014 at 09:34

Artjak, can you use mini G clamps, you can get them down to 1" and would mean you could tighten them to the struts and remove them at the end of the year.

I googled them and found some for £1.50 each,

25/04/2014 at 08:43

I decided to go for the bottomless pots although I did find some frames too. 

email image
8 messages