Its normal to wait until the first truss has set before feeding

KEF
29/03/2014 at 16:51

Agree with scroggin.

Only sown mine today. Don't know your locality FB or if you have a heated GH

31/03/2014 at 14:40

Hi Scrogin, what do you mean by 'first truss has set' *newbie*

31/03/2014 at 14:43

The tomatoes produce flowers on stems normally called trusses, when the first truss of flowers has set and starts to produce small tomatoes the traditionally that is when you start to feed the plant.

31/03/2014 at 14:49

ok thanks

31/03/2014 at 15:01

...and don't forget to pinch out the side shoots. 

31/03/2014 at 15:30

'Setting' is when the flowers fade and you see the very small green baby tomatoes where the centre of the flower was. Peer in and you will see them.

31/03/2014 at 16:42

Can I ask another question about tomatoes I bought a little pot you just add water too and now have 26 3\4 inch shoots, do I plant one shoot per pot or would you plant more in a pot?

31/03/2014 at 16:47

Hi-

I'm hoping someone can help me please.  I started some green zebras under grow lights and they have been doing nicely but recently some of the leaves have developed yellow spots.  I took a picture of it here.  Can someone please help identify what is causing this?
Much thanks!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41003.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Edd
31/03/2014 at 17:05

That looks like Magnesium Deficiency or it could be the start of rust.

edit: Try Epsom salts as a foliar feed. Dilute the salts at a rate of 20g of Epsom salts per litre of water. Also check for aphids.

31/03/2014 at 17:13

Thanks!  Will give it a try!!

31/03/2014 at 17:19

Kweegly, one seedling per pot. Start by transplanting the seedling when it has two real leaves, into a 3 inch pot. When the roots fill that pot, pot on into larger pot .

31/03/2014 at 19:15

Thanks, for a fully grown plant how large a pot should I use?

31/03/2014 at 21:10

I planted tomato seeds in a plastic container the best part of a month ago, and nothing has sprouted yet. Have they failed, or should I wait longer?

I used an old plastic tray with 8 small compartments about 2" deep and 2" by 1½".

I filled them with multi-purpose compost, sprinkled a bit of blood fish & bone into it and then prodded two seeds into each compartment about half an inch down.

The weather was below 10 degrees C when I did this, but things quickly warmed up and I've been leaving the container out in the sun during the day and taking it in at night.

31/03/2014 at 21:56

How wet are they Tomsk?  Over-watering is v common....do the pots have drainage holes?  Or maybe they're too dry!

BFB was unnecessary at this stage (esp with multi-porpoise rather than seed comppst) but probably won't hurt.

If nothing's happened after a month I'd sow another lot just in case.  Seed's cheap. (and birdseed's cheep?)

31/03/2014 at 23:20

I did keep them damp, perhaps too damp, but they've been reasonably dry for the last couple of weeks. There was drainage, and only once did any water leak out of them after I watered them.

Since it's been the best part of a month and nothing's burst to the surface, I'll start again, though I'm disappointed that I'm losing all this warm and sunny weather!

How long does it usually take for a shoot to appear after you plant seeds?

01/04/2014 at 13:40

Tomsk, it's usual for tom seeds to take between a couple of days and a week to germinate. Older, stubborn seeds can take a bit longer.

The fertiliser didn't help, and you planted a bit too deeply. The seeds need only be barely covered. I suspect the seeds might have rotted. The mix needs to be slightly damp at best.

Optimum temps for germination are in the 20sC, with, ideally, the warmth coming from underneath.

02/04/2014 at 17:55

Well here's a thing.

Last night, after reading the replies, I had one more very close look at my container and there was no sign of any shoots. So I got an old 2" deep plastic tray (old, cleaned meat packaging), filled it with compost and planted 15 new seeds, just below the surface and didn't water this time.

I was going to throw the compost in the old container into the compost bin, but it was late and dark, so left it for the morning. This afternoon I went out to do it, and there's a tiny tomato shoot! It's slightly open, a bit like Emu's mouth (as in Rod Hull) and one centimetre tall. That appeared from nowhere in a matter of hours.

So, if the rest shortly appear, it looks like I'm going to have a surplus of tomato plants.

02/04/2014 at 19:28

Since this afternoon, a second one of the seemingly-dead shoots has popped above the soil. The leaves aren't out yet, but there's a small 'loop' of stem popping up, so I assume the leaves will appear by tomorrow (the sun's going down now).

They must be following this thread, and got spooked by my posts last night.

1 to 20 of 24 messages