London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 57 messages
19/08/2014 at 11:06

How's everyone's Toms doing?  I have to say I'm disappointed with my crop this year  - despite it being a warm spring and summer with a lot of sunshine (specially in July) mine have been slow to start fruiting - not over bountiful either -  and haven't looked anywhere near as robust as 2013's crop. 

19/08/2014 at 11:56

Same here, much less tomatoes than last year

19/08/2014 at 12:14

This is the first year I've grown tomatoes, and I transplanted them into the soil far too late, but I'm also a bit disappointed at their progress. I have a fair few fruits lower down and lots of yellow flowers from the middle upward (or did until last week's heavy hail storm knocked a lot of them off) but they seem to be growing more slowly than I expected, with none close to ripening yet, despite the good weather.

There must be something funny with my garden because even my daffs and tulips only flowered in May, despite being planted last September and October.

I'm looking forward to tasting my tomatoes though, and seeing if soup tastes better than using supermarket tomatoes.

19/08/2014 at 12:25

Tomsk - you're growing them outside? Lucky you!! Mine are in a greenhouse, so I don't know what excuse they've got for their tardy progress!

19/08/2014 at 12:53

Tomsk, when your daffs and tulips flowered is dependant on variety and not planting time. May is a pretty typical flowering time for them

20/08/2014 at 18:05

Like Tomsk, mine have suffered from a particularly nasty hail storm. It's affected the more exposed fruit (obviously), higher up the plants, but I think they'll still be ok for cooking. Less aethethically pleasing for snacking.

I'm slightly kicking myself for only sowing seeds in April. Last year I started them in Feb but had to keep the plants inside until late May due to the v cold spring - hence they were very light-starved by that point. That made me hold-off this year but, comparing the two years, I think actually last year's yellow, feeble looking plants recovered incredibly quickly once the weather got warmer and they were getting plenty of sun. Plus I think last year's harvest was better overall, although the bulk of mine this year are still to ripen.

So, in short, next year I'm going for a February sowing. If spring is cold, I know that delaying putting them outside makes them look unhealthy but they recover and, if it's a warm spring like this year, by mid-August they should be nearer the end rather than the beginning of their harvest time.

That's what I've learnt this year anyway!

21/08/2014 at 08:45

Bf, I think you're right to sow earlier rather than later. There are myriad ways to keep seedlings happy till they're ready to plant out. If you have a sunny spot anywhere outside you can line the wee pots up in any sort of low-sided crate, wrap it in bubble wrap, and leave them out during the day. It works for me even when temps are down to single figures. The bubble wrap brings the temp up to a reasonable level but it's the bright natural light that does the trick.

21/08/2014 at 08:53

My toms are huge but only ripening slowly as the hot weather was in June and July and it suddenly turned very cold in August just when we could have done with higher temps. It's been well below ten degrees at night for the last week and often not much better through the day, but the temps in the plastic growhouses get quite high in the daytime, so it's hard to keep a good balance between day and night.

21/08/2014 at 11:04

Agree with Fairygirl. August so far has been colder and less sunny than would be ideal, just when the tomatoes (and chillies, courgettes etc) would have really benefited from it.

Probably explains lower yields, smaller tomatoes, slower and delayed ripening.

21/08/2014 at 13:21

My tomatoes are appaling this year. Barely any fruit and what's there is slow to grow and so far I have precisely 1, yes 1, tomato that actually has any colour other than green. To be honest I'm not going to bother with tomatoes anymore, unless I can grow them under cover, in a controlled environment. The weather in the UK is just too unreliable to grow tomatoes successfully outdoors. Or maybe its just the weather conditions in my garden, which on any given day I swear are completely different to any one elses. This morning for example it was cold enough outside to see your breath. In August?!

21/08/2014 at 13:40

Thank goodness it's not  just me! Was too embarrassed to comment before. I have 6 different varieties and so far we have eaten.........1 

21/08/2014 at 17:15

Mine are only just now starting to produce. Mainly because I was dragged kicking and screaming to Australia for a month's holiday in June. A neighbour agreed to look after the garden for me. But it's terraced, with the toms on the second terrace. Hard work dragging the hose up steps and along a terrace. I didn't want to put her through the ordeal so I dug up the plants and stuck them into pots of various shapes and sizes on the terrace for easier access. I also put them mainly under cover because the weather was hot and she wasn't sure how often she could water.

So they spent a month in whatever pots I had handy, mainly in the shade. They survived, even if they were sprawling across the terrace and pretty scrappy.

Planted them out again when we got back. Took them a week or so to recover and get to work. Ate the first couple the other day with many more on the way.

KEF
21/08/2014 at 19:26

My outdoor variety cherry ones in pots ripened early and have been lovely, they are still maturing but no new flowers, looking wind swept and battered, even though in a sheltered place.  

The GH ones are slow to ripen and it's been that chilly today that the autovent hasn't even opened  I have opened the door to ventilate but closed it again at 5pm as it was only 14c in GH.  Think summer has done in S.Yorks.

21/08/2014 at 20:28

I have a glut of tomatoes outside but I doubt there will be enough sun now to ripen them.

21/08/2014 at 21:01

I'm pleased Sue started this thread ,I couldn't understand what my Tom's were playing at .I bought mine as usual as small plants from plants direct, Jersey. I'd usually be seeing Tom's in my sleep by now and giving them away by the bowl full.I had my usual 6 yellow plus a green heirloom variety.(been as I do so well.)  I ended up putting the green heirlooms outside . Thought they must be outsiders as they didn't look so good in greenhouse.not much improvement had5 Tom's  up too now and at a guess I have about 3lb still on the six plants.the yellow ones in the greenhouse fared a little better  maybe had 4lb ,ripening very slowly and I'm back to buying from the supermarket .

Capsicum I have supposedly got 2 Brown 2 red  and two green plants up to now the capsicum s are all green on the 6 plants.. just keeping my fingers crossed for a better 2015 growing season  for us all .

21/08/2014 at 21:44

Don't know as this is the first year of growing them. They are in a greenhouse. Tomatoes picked is a zero, but I think they just might be starting to ripen........maybe

21/08/2014 at 21:53

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have 4 bush tomato plants which have been very successful, variety Maskotka, started from seeds on the window sill and planted outside. Plenty of tomatoes ripened since mid July and only just slowing down where ripening is concerned with it being cooler and less sunny. I'm in generally balmy Surrey mind you! Two of them were mauled repeatedly by slugs or snails in the first 3 weeks or so but they've produced pretty well despite their slow start. My father in law got my spares and they have also done well in grobags. I tried these in pots last year and poked a spare into a space in the ground and got loads more from that one than the 2 in pots together. I really like this variety, easy to grow, tasty and their size- between cherry and small salad- seems to get them ripe ok. Anyone else tried these?

21/08/2014 at 21:56

Thought perhaps I was doing something wrong as I have only had about five or six ripe tomatoes. Any ripe ones left on our kitchen windowsill do disappear rather quickly, before they get into a salad - school holidays! Mine are in a small plastic greenhouse in the sun but I took the cover off while we were away for a week, just so the rain would get to them. Will try earlier start next year.

21/08/2014 at 22:12

My tom plants in the GH, look alot healthier this year but not as many toms on the plants. Some have gone red but most are still green. 

The one's outside in hanging baskets have been very poor, they started to fruit early and have all but stopped now.

One of my chilli plants though has alot of fruit going red, which I thought was a bit early for chillies, I'm convinced it was September time last year before these started to change colour.

21/08/2014 at 22:42

...like Glamour Gardener above....no problems here...greenhouse...picking for weeks and plenty to come each day...  I fear ostracision over this...lol...

..not growing any reds, only orange and yellows.... and too many for us as usual,  but here's a few I picked today...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57321.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

1 to 20 of 57 messages