Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoes

hi folks

when is it best to put plant my tomatoes out?

• Hi, NH. I presume you mean outside in the garden. When there's no further risk of frost or very cold winds, so something depends on where you live. They are better off inside at the moment.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Not Yet!!!   You're up there in Nth Lincs?  Brrrr!  Not until June most years .... this year image wait and see ........

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Be as patient as you can.  Difficult I know!  It depends a lot on where you are and also on what variety you are growing....but put it off until the weather is reliable, and harden them off very gradually first.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Nicholas, unless you've got temps of at least 15C daytime and at least 12C overnight you're pretty much wasting your time. Lower temps - within reason - won't necessarily hurt them but their development will be compromised.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Afternoon folks, is it ok to put my small tommy plants in my greenhouse bed or should they be kept in pots for a while? Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Tootles, At the moment I'm putting the pots in the GH during the day, but bringing back indoors at night.  Last night my max-min thermometer in the GH said it went down to 2.3C, which would have done them no good at all.  I agree with Italophile about the temperature range.  If you can afford a max-min thermometer (under £10), they are well worth having in a greenhouse.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • SarahB 2SarahB 2 Posts: 2

I'm glad I read this now! Went to garden centre bought a grafted tomato plant in hope I have success this year.  Have planted in large pot with grow bag and canes.  Should I dig it up, transfer it to medium pot and keep in in shed with window until it's warmer, I'm in South West, today we have had rain, hail and brilliant sunshine. Any advice gratefully received.

• Hiya, is it too late to start some tomato plants from seed?

• SarahB 2SarahB 2 Posts: 2

Many thanks Verdun, it's going back in a medium pot this eve and will be overnighting in the utility until we have warmer weather.  Didn't realise you should gradually upsize pot size either.  Am loving access to experts!