London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
21 to 29 of 29 messages
23/05/2013 at 17:42

Apols, I know this question is often asked here, but... what final pot size would people recommend? I've got an array of indeterminates (Black Cherry, Sungold, G's Delight, Moneymaker). The biggest pots I've got currently are 15 litre but I've seen some recommend 20, even 25 litre. Is 15 litre enough or should I invest in some 20 litres, say? thank you!

23/05/2013 at 18:54

With indeterminates, Bf, the larger the pot the more chance the plant has of reaching its potential. Personally, I wouldn't go under 25 litres but they'll cope in 20 litres.

Most importantly, look for pot depth. The plants will need staking and the stakes need depth of soil for stability. Too shallow and the stakes - and plants - will blow over in the first strong wind.

23/05/2013 at 19:31

Ok thanks. I might reduce the number of plants I ultimately look to grow to full size outside - I haven't got huge amounts of space, unfortunately. about 30 plants currently, I'll prob take out about 5 that look less sturdy and then give away another 10.

24/05/2013 at 07:14

You'd feed a couple of armies with 30 plants, Bf. There are two of us and I usually grow about 8 or 9 plants - in the ground, all indeterminates - and we struggle to eat all the toms. We're popular with our friends at tomato harvest time.

24/05/2013 at 10:07

Hah, the voice of reason as ever, italophile!

Yes, I'll definitely get it down to 15-20. There are more of us, including a few small ones - the Sungolds are basically 'sweets' for them...

My only hesitation is that I got a bit lazy with my plant labelling... I did know what varieties they were to start with but I'm now less sure! I'm pretty sure the Moneymakers have got the pointiest leaves. I do want to make sure I keep plenty of Black Cherries...

24/05/2013 at 10:08

... and i've just ordered 20 x 25 litre pots, arriving Monday. The forecast down here in SE Eng is pretty good so that may be the day they go out, after some hardening off in the coldframe. Eek.

24/05/2013 at 10:16

Bf I just bought 3 little Moneymakers for 20p in sale at B&Q and the leaves are quite pointy! Can put a pic on if it's any help but they're only a few inches high at present.

24/05/2013 at 10:29

Bf, it will be virtually impossible to tell the cherries apart for a while yet. They're all RL and the leaves are still developing. You'd get a better idea when the trusses start to form. Eg, Sungold develops a long cluster with the flowers pretty densely packed, Black Cherry's clusters aren't as long and the flowers are less densely packed.

But that's probably further down the track than you really want. Moral: Always label your plants!

24/05/2013 at 10:48

Sigh, yes I had it under control when they were in labelled seed modules. my mistake was not then labelling them in pots - instead I grouped them but of course I've since shifted some to get more light, to stop them getting tangled etc.

Oh well. In practice, like I say the Moneymakers are definitely markedly different. The Sungolds I'm sure are the strongest looking plants (maybe just me but they always grow best!) It's just the Gardeners Delight and Black Cherries I need to distinguish.. l check the pot make...

email image
21 to 29 of 29 messages