London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
21 to 40 of 59 messages
26/05/2013 at 10:00

Bf, put them outside during the day even if it's 10C. The sun will do them more good than the temp will harm them at this stage of their lives.

To help them along, invest in some bubble wrap. Put the pots in a crate or similar, erect props of some sort in each corner (higher than the tops of the plants) and use the bubble wrap over the top to create a mini greenhouse. It will add at least 5º to the temps inside the bubble wrap.

26/05/2013 at 10:15

Without wishing to sound ungrateful, the ones in that pic are in the spare bedroom and we were on hols and had the in-laws staying in there on watering duty! Well, and looking after the human children...

i think they pushed the table they were on away from the window (for easier access to the bed- how selfish) didnt fully open the curtains in there - let alone rotate them as I'd been doing! I also think they were over watered. 

Italophile, I have got a cold frame tthe some of them can fit in- currently filled with other crops which I'll plant out ASAP!

can they be saved!?

26/05/2013 at 10:24

Dang in-laws! The toms will be fine, Bf. They'll just take a little bit longer to get up to speed once they're planted out in better weather. In the meantime, do everything you can to help them along with bona fide sun and warmth.

26/05/2013 at 19:15

ok, italophile. Duly chastened, the light-starved toms are now in the cold frame- had to plant out some sweetcorn to make room! A couple of cool days ahead, so says the weather forecast, but no night temps forecast for single figures for the foreseeable so fingers crossed... I've still got a few toms inside on a sunny windowsill. I'm going to put them all in 25 litre pots later in the week, bury 'em deep and hope for some sun!!

26/05/2013 at 19:47

They'll love you for it, Bf, and repay you!

The sweetcorn mightn't ...

26/05/2013 at 22:25

Hah, maybe I should get myself to the sweetcorn thread and fast! The sweetcorn at least claims to be half-hardy. From what I've found, toms seem quite keen on having some decent temperatures... Chance would be a fine thing!

26/05/2013 at 22:31

My sweetcorn have been planted out for the last few days, hardened off before that for about 3 weeks, grown from seed in the G/H. They are looking a bit pale, but greening up with the sun. Will feed them tomorrow.

27/05/2013 at 08:25

I usually plant my sweetcorn out later than the toms.

28/05/2013 at 16:28

How many cherry tomatoes would you expect a single plant to produce in a greenhouse, 2x per growbag in ring culture? I've got gardeners delight, black cherry and tigarella.

I've started sticking mine in the growbags as i'm running out of bench space in the greenhouse. I'm trying to decide of a couple of each plants will be fine for me and the wife (6 plants total).

I've clearly got alot more than that.. some are going to my grandads as he loves gardening and used to grow tomatoes in his greenhouse, but having altzeimers now he can't raise them from seed as he forgets what he's doing, but we're hoping he can manage the greenhouse watering of the ones i'm growing for him. Anyway I still have at least 4 or so spare plants of each type, but i don't think i have room for them in my greenhouse, once the cucumbers/peppers/melons get setup!

28/05/2013 at 16:31

Andy, you're going to be suffocating under cherry tomatoes. And good on you for helping out grandad.

28/05/2013 at 16:34

6 plants will  provide more than enough tomatoes for two people,Cant you grow the surplus plants outside?you can always make tomato sauce/soup with any glut,both freeze well.

28/05/2013 at 16:50

Actually that's not a bad idea, can always plant them out in some containters and just see what they produce, if they don't ripen can always make green tomato chutney! Other than that been trying to give them away to anyone i know hehe.

28/05/2013 at 16:54

Thanks italophile, we do what we can, i think when you get to 85 at his stage the little things can brighten your day. I've just sowed a load of wallflowers for him, as he loves them too, something which took me 10 minutes will brighten his days unmeasurably

28/05/2013 at 20:09

Italophile wrote (see)
greengardener2 wrote (see)

I have Gardener's Delight outside - but also, for the first time, something just called 'Italian Plum' tomato. Should I pinch out the side shoots of the latter or leave to grow as a bush? Anyone happen to know? Thanks

Haven't come across "Italian Plum" as the name of a variety. Sounds more like a description. San Marzano and other similiar tomatoes are "plums". What is its growth habit at the moment? Spreading like a bush variety or developing separate leaders with growing tips?

If it's a true "plum" variety it should be doing the latter as an indeterminate variety. You can nip out the side shoots.

Thanks very much for your advice italophile. I too think they want their side shoots nipping really - so I have obliged!

29/05/2013 at 09:28

So, my toms are now safely housed in my mini greenhouse, hardening off. In fact, the ones I put in first are already looking a fair bit healthier (leaves seem greener and thicker). Here in SE London, the weather looks set reasonably if you believe the forecast. Daytime temps to rise up to 20C and nightime minimums only low double figures.

My 25 litre pots have arrived so, probably this weekend, I'm going to put all the toms into their final pots. I've got 20 pots. Currently, I've got 29 plants so 9 will miss the cut...probably mostly Moneymakers as they're the ones I'm least bothered about.

Beyond that, there are a few with thin stems which I'm probably better off without? Any tips on, er, sorting the wheat from the chaff?

29/05/2013 at 09:39

It's pretty simple, Bf. The healthiest- and strongest-looking make the cut. The runts get a one-way trip to the compost heap. Sad, but that's life. It sounds like you've already got a handle on it.

Those temps sound very good. They won't need a lot of hardening off.

29/05/2013 at 09:54

appreciate all the guidance, italophile! 

Last June here was awful for toms (my courgettes loved it tho!) so we deserve a bit of luck...

29/05/2013 at 12:15

hi, i am a new gardener. i live in a flat so i don't have a garden but i decided to try grow tomatoes and peppers.
I stupidly planted the whole pack of seeds so now have 50 plants.

Just wondering how deep and wide an area of compost 1 plant  needs.

its just so i can figure out what size of pots/how many pots/how many plants per pot.

appreciate any help!

29/05/2013 at 13:08

..whilst mine are in a greenhouse, I like to grow them in individuall pots rather than growbags, which I don't like much... not saying this is the best way, it's just how I do it... some pots are not very big but I get plenty of yield from these...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24240.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

these are a bit larger out of convenience, but I don't think they need pots this big for a reasonable yield...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24241.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

29/05/2013 at 13:48
windowgardener wrote (see)

hi, i am a new gardener. i live in a flat so i don't have a garden but i decided to try grow tomatoes and peppers.
I stupidly planted the whole pack of seeds so now have 50 plants.

Just wondering how deep and wide an area of compost 1 plant  needs.

its just so i can figure out what size of pots/how many pots/how many plants per pot.

appreciate any help!

Usually one plant per pot, regardless. But the varieties dictate the sizes of the pots. Indeterminate varieties, those that can grow to 5-6' feet or more, need bigger pots than determinate varieties (otherwise known as "bush" varieties).

Tell us which variety/ies you have and we can give you a guide.

21 to 40 of 59 messages