London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
21 to 29 of 29 messages
31/07/2013 at 08:20

I'm growing F1 Shirley outside in pots.  I always do this as I don't have a greenhouse.  They're doing ok, but I wonder if anyone knows why the leaves have curled up, and what effect this will have?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28475.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

Still having problems posting pics I'm afraid.  But the leaves curl in from the edges and I'm not sure why.  Any ideas?

31/07/2013 at 08:23

Oh it seems to have posted! Well that's a close up of the leaves.  New ones further up are ok, but the older ones have been curled up for a while.......

31/07/2013 at 14:00

Daisy, curling leaves are very very common on toms. Usually nothing to worry about. What are your temps like? And how often are you watering?

31/07/2013 at 18:51

Curled tomato leaves can be caused by so many things I am almost surprised when I don’t see a plant with at least a few. The three normal reasons are...

Sap suckers (have a look for aphids, but probably quite obvious).

Dryness, check the compost but it looks like your looking after that

Their unhappy about the temperature, either to hot or too cold at night (Shirley is traditionally a glasshouse cultivar)

This is purly conjecture but as plants curl inwards to reduce exposed stoma on the abaxial side of the leaf in the heat, if their curling to expose more of it could this mean it is getting to cold?

The Bearded One

01/08/2013 at 09:00

Ok thanks for the comments - they live outside as I don't have a greenhouse, and some nights they don't get watered as I work 13 hour shifts - if I have two together then I get back late, have to sort everything out for the next day, have a shower and then go to bed.  Unless they're looking seriously dead of course, but if I'm going to be doing two days together I try and give them a extra watering.   I've never grown Shirley before, so perhaps the nighttime temperature has been a factor?

Any recommendations for varieties I can grow outside next year?

01/08/2013 at 12:12

Well I'm getting a lot of fruit - smallish - on some Sungolds outside that I got on offer from GW magazine, and they have multiple trusses. They are mostly straight in the ground. Starting to ripen.

In the greenhouse Ferline has some big fruit yet to ripen, as with Moneymaker and Big Boy. By far the best though are several Torenzos from seed in the greenhouse -  produced probably 50 or 60 ripe so far with many more to come, ripened nice and early. Recommend these and will definitely grow them again next year - but be careful of support as I lost a few 'branches' worth because of the amount of fruit.

01/08/2013 at 12:33

@ Daisy

Try Tigerella, its suitable for either a greenhouse or outdoors and is an early tomato (so is Shirley) It’s got very nice stripes on it, is heavy cropping and has a nice tangy taste. I grow them for my shop and customers go crazy for them!

Otherwise, I have been recommended Orkado F1, a cordon that ripens well even in the UK but I have never tried this one personally

(edit)

I should also say Shirley can be done outdoors, it’s not purely a greenhouse tomato and curling leaves shouldn’t be a problem unless it becomes really extensive so as long as you like them, it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

01/08/2013 at 13:23

Thanks all, I feel reassured and I will definitely look out for those varieties for next year.

01/08/2013 at 13:54

Daisy I've got some Red Alert which is supposed to be suitable for outdoors in Britain. As I'm in Scotland I have them undercover though - night time temps can still be low here apart from a month or two so it's not worth trying them outside. They're a small to medium plum type. I wouldn't say they're the best flavour I've ever had but they've been plentiful, easy to grow and I'm enjoying them.

email image
21 to 29 of 29 messages