London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
28/07/2013 at 12:33

My tomatoes are in pots and growbags in a glass unheated greenhouse money maker gardeners delight and a plum tomato sort they are growing like triffids with basil plants and melons near by getting only one or two red toms and lots of flowers i am feeding them with tomato food once a week and watering them twice almost every day is this enough also my tumbling toms planted from seed in june are in outside hanging baskets with only flowers on will they produce toms this year

28/07/2013 at 12:44

Italophile is the tomato expert on here girlyfox but I'd have thought the ones in the baskets might need a bit of help to get fruits if they were only sown in June. Could you get them into your greenhouse? I think if you're getting ripening fruits on the others and there are more flowers coming  there's not too much to worry about. Overwatering can often do more harm than good so if you have a feeding/watering regime that's working I'd say you're ok!. 

28/07/2013 at 12:59

Thankyou very much yes I will move my hanging baskets into the green house and cross my fingers I started them off in my plastic greenhouse then I got given a very old glass greenhouse and it has about six panes of glass made out of a plastic cover while we look for replacement glass but it is watertight and everything is growing big and happy so far 

28/07/2013 at 13:05

Some of mine are quite triffidy too as they were inside with a radiator under them for ages before it was warm enough to get them out! They're just in those plastic growhouses and I've been eating toms for a little while now. There's lots of really helpful people and info on here about toms - I've learnt a lot- especially from Italophile.

Lovely to eat toms you've grown  isn't it? 

28/07/2013 at 13:17

yes its so nice and far tastier than shop ones my sister gave me some plants this year they have been small but very tasty indeed and such big plants all growing at diffrent rates. i have been trying cut and come again lettuces this year and they grow back so fast we have already had about a month of lovely lettuce. the whole family love to see what appears overnight as things change so fast .

28/07/2013 at 14:17

Girlyfox, you're overwatering and overfertilising. Don't water by rote, water when the plants need it - which is to say, when the mix dries out. Toms shouldn't sit in permanently damp mix. They shouldn't need fertilising more than once every three or so weeks.

Toms will produce at their optimum if they're made to struggle a little bit. Toms, like most plants, exist to do one thing - reproduce themselves. Producing fruit is the tom's method of reproducing itself. And plants are most likely to feel the need to reproduce if they feel a bit threatened. A tom plant full of moisture and fertiliser doesn't feel in the slightest bit threatened. Just fat, bloated and comfortable.

Your hanging baskets plants are still very young. Whether they produce fruit before the end of the season depends on the variety. Some varieties produce earlier than others. If it's sunny and warm where they are, leave them where they are.

28/07/2013 at 16:49

Touch wood......looks like best crop this year.  Sungold, trying it instead of gardeners delight, is producing well but can't decide if taste is " better" than GD.  Shirley ripening well and loads of them.  Think I've learned a lot this year ...Italophile's tips been helpful.  (I think he promised me a fiver if I mentioned him)

28/07/2013 at 17:03

Yes, fantastic year for them here too, Verdun.  I know what you mean about deciding which is the best taste but the fact is any home-grown tom is so much more delicious than a supermarket one that you can't really believe they are the same things!  Some of mine are so tasty they almost hurt the tongue!

28/07/2013 at 21:39

Italophile- I must admit I don't feed mine too frequently , or at least I don't use too strong a mix, but I do water most days unless it's not overly hot as the temperature inside these little growhouses gets like an oven (especially in the recent  heatwave) and the plants dry out and wilt terribly. I ventilate them well, open them up every day, and have no pest problems - except for the thieving magpies!  Next year I'm going to try growing them a bit harder as you suggest and see if I get an even bigger crop. Your advice on here has been really helpful.  

Do you also  think it  makes a difference because yours are in the ground as opposed to being in pots? 

29/07/2013 at 06:51

Toms in pots do require more water overall than toms in the ground, Fairygirl. Toms in the ground can send their roots in search of moisture. Toms in pots have no such luxury, their roots are trapped inside the pot.

If it's getting so hot inside the greenhouse it's an idea to put the plants outside during the day if you can. Extreme heat does the plants no good at all, regardless of how much water you pour on them.

29/07/2013 at 07:03

Thanks for your reply Ital. I do try and get them as much air as possible but the horizontal supports on the growhouses mean I can't get them out easily! With the doors fully open it does help. I did think of putting a bit of light shading over them on the hottest days but the extreme heat seems to have passed now. Temps are mid to high twenties at most where the toms are and by mid afternoon they get a bit of relief from the sun. I'm getting a good crop so I'm not complaining too much!  

JTL
29/07/2013 at 08:36

I'm using a liquid home brew of comfrey and nettles mixed up in a dust bin,does anyone use this combination, I've fed the toms every other day and the crop is better than in the past, mine are grown in large tubs in the greenhouse

29/07/2013 at 12:04

JTL, comfrey is loaded with potassium, good for fruit production. I'd watch the nettle ratio, though. Nettles are stacked with nitrogen.

JTL
29/07/2013 at 13:40

what would be the problem if I used more nettles than comfrey in the brew,I'm adding more nettles than comfrey every now and again, the foliage looks really healthy plus there's plenty of fruit,in the past I used comfrey only and only fed about once a week

29/07/2013 at 14:09

Nitrogen promotes leaf growth, JTL, that's all. Toms need a minimum of nitrogen. That's why I'd favour the comfrey. Nettles would be a treat for the leafy veg.

29/07/2013 at 20:06

thankyou for all your advice I spent 3hrs in the greenhouse yesterday going round each plant melons peppers aubergines tomatoes herbs peas beans and carrots cucumbers and corgettes tying plants to canes moving things putting up more string for things to climb on and generally making sure things have room and shade and slinging slugs and snails over fence then today everything looked very flowery thankyou

30/07/2013 at 13:20

My greenhouse tomatoes - Gardener's Delight - have also taken me by surprise. This is my first year growing cordon toms and they have romped away, almost reaching the greenhouse roof. I am going to nip off the growing tip to stop them as well as the side shoots as there are good trusses already, so fingers crossed for some lovely red toms! If not, well, it looks like we could be in for a bumper crop of chutney!!

Great advice Italophile. Monty spoke about comfrey and nettle juice on Friday's GW, so it was good to hear your advice too.

30/07/2013 at 13:27

Great what you learn on here isn't it Susan. I've grown a couple of toms from seed this year and it was so easy I might do it again!  

30/07/2013 at 14:18

The first fruiting tomato plant that have is from a cutting which I had to do because the original plant got damaged. I thought it would be a shame to throw the plant away so I cut the stem at an angle and replanted it. The plant now has 5 beautitiful tomatoes on + a few more flowers which may become fruitful.

31/07/2013 at 08:07

What are people's views on when to pinch off the top of cordon toms? Most of my plants, which are mainly cherry varieties (Black Cherry, Sungold, G/Delight), have about 4/5 trusses. One has about 7 - courtesy of the one side shoot that got away...

Six trusses seems to be the average that people recommend before pinching off the top of the plant. Does that sound right? Or should I leave them going for longer because they're cherries and don't have to grow too big?

Thank you!

1 to 20 of 29 messages