London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
9 messages
08/10/2012 at 14:08

i was a bit late in geting my tomatos in there are lots of tomatos but most are still green should they be ok for an other month yet there in my green house many thanks for any info

08/10/2012 at 14:15

Depends on the weather. If there's some sun they should ripen. Even if you pick tomatoes when they are just turning orange they still ripen indoors, but I think the flavour is better if they ripen under the sun. If there isn't a frost they should be fine in the greenhouse.

08/10/2012 at 14:19

It is a judgement call really they need warmth to ripen -the nights are cold and even in a greenhouse during the day it isn't that warm-as has been said if we get some sun you might be lucky but it is going to take time

I would be inclined to bring some indoors to ripen

08/10/2012 at 16:14

Optimum temp for ripening is anything above low-20s and direct sunlight isn't required. The lower the temp, the longer it will take. If it's warmer indoors than outdoors, even in a greenhouse, especially overnight, they'll ripen quicker indoors.

09/10/2012 at 10:12

I have ripened mine in a propagator, a lot of people on hear said it couldnt be done. I put them on a rack so they were not in contact with the base and they have all ripened nicely.

09/10/2012 at 15:22

That's interesting- might give it a go.

09/10/2012 at 16:26
nodlisab wrote (see)

I have ripened mine in a propagator, a lot of people on hear said it couldnt be done. I put them on a rack so they were not in contact with the base and they have all ripened nicely.

A propagator would provide all the warmth the toms need to ripen. You only need to be careful of the temperatures and the chances of "cooking" the toms. Keeping the toms off the base was a very good idea to avoid bruising.

14/10/2012 at 05:23

A lot of mine have not ripened,I have in the past wrapped each one individually,put them in a shoe box for a few weeks indoors,that helps.

The rest I will use for green tomato chutney.

19/10/2012 at 08:48

I made green tomato cake then put the spare in the freezer.  

email image
9 messages