London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
15 messages
20/05/2014 at 22:53
Hi everyone My dad has given me some pea and broad bean seeds that are covered in a kind of crusty pink coating, and on the packet it says that they have been 'treated' and that gloves should be worn when handling them. I just wondered if anyone had any idea what this coating was or what it's for. I'm ultimately trying to work out if it has any effect on the germination time! Although it has only been a week so not too bad, but worried the recent heat might not be the best germination conditions! Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
21/05/2014 at 08:03

What else does the pack say?  Have they been treated with a fungicide in which case 'Yuk' - sorry, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

However, there is stuff available to use when sowing bean seeds which is an organic booster to improve their growth - I don't know of seeds that are sold coated with this, but I suppose that might be the case.

Surely the pack explains more?

21/05/2014 at 10:30

I sowed some pea seeds last week that had been treated with a fungicide, the coating looked pearly pink

21/05/2014 at 11:15

Hi Dove,

No unfortunately the pack doesn't say any more.

21/05/2014 at 12:00

Do they have a 'brand' name?

22/05/2014 at 14:09

I was given some of T&Ms sow strong leeks.. i sowed some alongside my blue winter leeks from real seeds.. the blue ones probably germinated better! 

Think the coating stuff is a bit of a con it seems.

22/05/2014 at 18:37

Hi I got some free seeds which were Unwins 'Grosure' Spinach, the pack says that they have a special coating and that you should wash your hands after handling. It says they have been treated with Thiram and Metalaxyl-M and that they are 'guaranteed to give the best results for your garden'. Whatever that means!!!!

22/05/2014 at 21:21

Most probably a mice deterrent.

23/05/2014 at 17:16

Last year i used Unwins treated sweetcorn seeds, they had been coated with a pink powder that they advised aided germination. I dunno of it was the powder or no but they sure as hell all germinated quickly.

23/05/2014 at 17:42
janetclaire wrote (see)

Hi I got some free seeds which were Unwins 'Grosure' Spinach, the pack says that they have a special coating and that you should wash your hands after handling. It says they have been treated with Thiram and Metalaxyl-M and that they are 'guaranteed to give the best results for your garden'. Whatever that means!!!!

Thiram = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiram 

Metalaxyl-M = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalaxyl 

I really wouldn't want to eat anything grown from seeds coated with those!!! 

23/05/2014 at 17:47

Eurgh! Maybe I'll keep them sealed in the packet! 

30/05/2014 at 19:25
Lol thanks for all of your responses!

I must say that they have all germinated rather well, although not sure if that's just because peas and broad beans aren't too fussy.

Ah well, I'm sure I've eaten worse
30/05/2014 at 19:26

It'll be interesting to see what you think of them 

30/05/2014 at 19:28

The farm near me has sown maize in the field this year, the seeds that could be seen had a pink coating so it is possible you have been given seeds treated for agricultral use,as Dove says probably a fungicide or something similar.

31/05/2014 at 20:10
That makes sense because they were bought from an independent garden centre in deepest, darkest Somerset!
email image
15 messages