Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Trusted chilli seed suppliers?

Evening all, I wrote about this in a different thread but not sure if it was seen, Basically all year I've been growing a couple types of chillies, some of which were ghost chillies (bhut jolakia) or should I say they were supposed to be! Long story short, they certainly were not what they were meant to be. I bought the seeds off eBay after reading quite a few happy comments, these people had obviously not started growing them yet. The purpose of this thread was basically just to ask if any chilli heads on here could recommend a reliable source in which to get the correct seeds from? Or if anybody would like to kindly donate me some of which they have been growing this year that would be awesome! I'm afraid I could only offer jalape??o seeds in return unless anybody wanted to grow my apparent ghost chillies themselves? They're a large red chilli with a mild heat to them lol. Thanks in advance.

• One problem with saving your own seed is that if you grow more than one variety or grow them with sweet peppers without keeping the varieties physically separated using insect screens they can cross-pollinate and the plants grown from these seeds may not be the same as the chilli fruit that they came out of.  I think that's probably why your seeds from ebay were not true to type.  I buy my chilli and pepper seeds from realseeds.co.uk and they have always come true and have been as described as well as good value compared to the large seed suppliers.  They have a refreshing attitude, too. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I also find http://realseeds.co.uk/hotpeppers.html to be a really reliable company - I've not bought chilli seeds from them, but I have no reason to expect them to supply anything but high quality seeds.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Dan-CDan-C Posts: 30
    Thank you both for your replies, so you're saying that maybe because I was growing jalape??o and bhut jolakia both in my greenhouse, they've cross pollinated and that's why? I mean the jalape??o plant and chillies are fine it's just the bhuts.

I shall give that website a look up anyway.. Plenty time to prepare for next years offspring =)
  • Hi Dan, no it's the person who sold you the seeds on ebay who probably grew different varieties together.  There's no problem in growing several different varieties together as long as you don't want to save the seed for next year as it's only saved seeds which might not grow plants of the same type.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Try www.ukchillieseeds.co.uk mine all germinated

• I bought carolina reapers from them (super hots) and hard to germinate all came up mind you I did soak them in warm tea for 24 hours.

• Dan-CDan-C Posts: 30
    Yeah I attempted to grow them this year but left them in the propagator too long and they sadly died, however they were from the same place as the ghosts so probably weren't legitamate seeds.

I'll check that website out tonight after work, thanks.
  • remember that once you have plants most hot chilli's you can overwinter the plants and take cuttings too!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Last year I ordered Red Padron, Bulgarian Carrot and Hungarian Black from Plant World Seeds - http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/ - and had excellent results until most of the seedlings were wiped out by a freak hailstorm.   I had cleverly gathered all my babies together outside to get rained on rather than rely on OH to water them while I was away for 3 days.

Some of them eventually recovered and produced a few fruits which have been good so I'll be ordering more of the same this year and adding Fish to my list and also sowing some saved seeds just to see what I get.

They have interesting lookng tomatoes and other veg too and some fabulous flowering plants.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

obelixx-I've not tried Plant World Seeds before, they look to have a good selection of seeds at reasonable prices....Zoomer adds them to her 'favourites' list...image