London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
7 messages
01/07/2014 at 13:04

Hello all, I hope someone can help me, I have been growing runner beans in a raised bed for a number of years and use compost collected from peelings etc, This year I have 15-20 tomato plants and 1 potato plant that have sprung up from nowhere! I can only presume they have sprouted from the compost.

Does anybody think I should pull these out? Will they affect my bean crop? Or just leave them to it and see what happens? Your thoughts please.

Edd
01/07/2014 at 13:20

I would remove the potato plant but i always find it fun to see what happens with tomato seeds outside. Thin them out to one or two and see what happens. You might get a late crop!

If you think they will take up too much nutrient then pull them all out and re-compost them, especially if you already have tomatoes elsewhere. You never know what type they are and they may not be suitable for out door growing but it is fun to see. Remember tomatoes are greedy crops. 

Edd

01/07/2014 at 13:31

I had tomatoes all over a new flower bed which I had dug home made compost into. I pulled them all up.

But I have grown a few on in the past, however if they are from F1 hybrid plants they don't come true from seed.

I wouldn't leave them on the beans. If you want any then dig them up carefully and replant them somewhere else and see what happens.

01/07/2014 at 14:49
I understand sewage farms grow a good crop of tomatoes every year if given the chance. The seeds are not destroyed by their travels through the compost heap or the human gut!
01/07/2014 at 21:41
I have heard that too, Welshonion. My veg patch was taken over this year by "rogue" potatoes that had sprouted up from those that had inadvertently been left behind! I'm looking forward to seeing what I can dig up.
01/07/2014 at 21:45

Not only have I got last years  missed potatoes coming up, I also have runner beans that have grown from dropped seeds. If they weren't in the Kale patch I'd be grateful.

03/07/2014 at 19:01

Thanks everyone, I will leave a few in and see if they fruit.

email image
7 messages