Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Veg Growing Plan

Hello

After successfuuly growing tatties last year at first attempt, I am hooked on growing veg and fully expect all attempts from here on in to be just as successful. 

After reading countless guides, blogs and articles, I planned the following. Please advise if any of the following is clearly stupid: Proper Garlic cloves purchased, was going to sow next couple of days (I know its late, but stay in Glasgow and still have frosty mornings)......parsnips in large pots/buckets in March?.....Shallots/Red onions in soil, albeit the soil is clay and heavy, next couple of days?

What do you think folks, many thanks for any advice...

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Hello Brycey D. You may have problems with the garlic not separating onto cloves, but they are still edibleimage

I have never grown parsnips, but I grow carrots in the large plastic (tarpaulin type) containers from Marshalls. I think they are 3 for about 11/12 £.

Good luck!

• good luck with your plan,what ever you achieve will be a lesson in success or failure but  you will learn on the way.

• What soil do you use in your tarpaulin type bags for growing carrots?

• Hi Brycey D .  I am just a little futher south and to the west of you  outside Drogheda I sowed parsnip seed in march last year and they failed so I resowed in April and I am still harvesting them . best of luck ,

Derek

Madeleine51, I use a mix of bought compost with sharp sand and a little organic chicken manure pellets. I find the sharp sand, which I add to all containers aids drainage and stops mossy growths in damp weather.image

• Hi Brycey. I'm Glasgow as well. I'm on my 4th year growing veg and it certainly has been a steep learning curve. I plant out my garlic in October and it did very well last year. This year it looks quite well at this stage. I also have some more to put in the ground which will be the latest I have tried it so the results should be good to compare. I would say we are fortunate to have frost till later in the year as far as garlic goes as it really does need some to spllit into cloves.

I would suggest that planting out anything else might be a bit early yet. Frist is great for the garlic but will kill off the others. The ground is too cold for onions I think and the parsnips wont germinate yet even in containers. 

Last year we had late frosts till May which killed off a few of my early sowing. Doesn't stop me from itching to get sowing again this year! Just trying some self restraint!!

Have just listened to GQT on Radio4; one person wanted to know how to grow peas in a window box; it was a family competition to grow the first pea of the year, how mad are we about growing veg?image

• Thanks for all the replies folks.image