London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
9 messages
01/01/2014 at 18:34

Hello all,

I have a strip about 5m long by 1-2m wide, that is in the shadow of a wall/fence all through the summer (and is even bigger this time of year as the sun is lower)

I was wondering what veg to try  - pots did ok there last year, but was thinking of brassicas this year coming - kale, cabbages etc. Any other suggestions of shade friendly veg? Soil is clay and gets quite wet, but has had a fair amount of work on it - manure, compost etc - to break it up.

Any tips welcome  - thanks!

01/01/2014 at 19:35

I've found that Swiss Chard is happy in a shady spot. 

01/01/2014 at 19:52

How much sun does the area get in summer, some veg will grow reasonably well by a fence and in shade if it gets some sun during the day.

If you grew veg in pots near the fence/wall, chances are these veggie's will grow better in the ground. What did you grow? 

01/01/2014 at 20:02

Ahh sorry I meant potatoes grew there ok - abbreviated it without thinking! Year previously had some cabbages there which also went fairly well.

Will add chard to my list of things to try

01/01/2014 at 20:59

If spuds did ok then the area must get some sun.

You may find, veggies you grow will mature later due to the shade, or the fence/wall creates a micro climate so you can grow stuff people on an allotment can't, for instance I've grown sweetcorn successfully, yet the allotment behind my home can't grow it because the ground is more open to the elements.  

I get sun from dawn till dusk but the veg beds are partially over shadowed by a fence, anything grown near the fence tends harvest a few weeks later. 

If you are thinking brassicas, cabbage takes up a lot growing space and unless you have an allotment there's little return. Broccoli, swede, turnip, radish (including mooli) take up less space, I grow kohl rabi which does well.   

Hope this has been helpful...

01/01/2014 at 21:26

In summer lettuce appreciate a bit of shade, the mid summer sun is too hot for them. Lots of fruit bushes will do well, gooseberries and currants will all do well. Blackberries also grow in shade.

KEF
02/01/2014 at 09:01

Spinach.

02/01/2014 at 09:47

Thanks all - I have some gooseberries next to this patch in shade mostly full time already, second year so hopefully will get fruit this time round.

I think i'll try kohl rabi again this year - experimented in a shallow raised bed and it didn't get going properly last summer. Spinach too - never have much luck, but the shadier spot may be a better option.

Cheers

02/01/2014 at 09:56

I'll echo what Dave said - lettuce tends to bolt when it gets too much sun so it appreciates some shade. If you like chives, they do better with some shade as well.

email image
9 messages