London (change)
Today 13°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 8°C
9 messages
15/05/2014 at 22:41

Hello,

I moved into my new house about 3 weeks ago. I say "new" house, it's not so new! It's a lovely 1930s property with a large garden (one of the reasons for buying the house). The garden plot is approx. 60/70m long by approx. 10m/12m wide. The garden is well established and I am having lots of fun creating borders and keeping on top of the lawn in the main part of the space. At the bottom of the garden I have reserved a section for my new veg plot (how exciting!!) which is about 12m long and between 5 and 8m wide. It is currently covered in lawn, bushes and my new shed is currently under construction . I previously had quite a small garden, so have only ever grown fruit and veg in pots. The garden is South facing and there are some trees and bushes that line the space. I was intending to put in some raised beds so it is easy to manage the veg beds. I intend to position the beds where they will get lots of sun light.

So my key questions to all you clever people out there....

• Do my veg plot ideas seem sensible...raised beds, full sun etc?
  • Is it sensible to test the type of soil I have and respond to this accordingly? Or will this not matter if I add additional soil in the raised beds?
  • As it is mid May, I fear I have missed the boat for planting this year. Is there anything that I can plant over the coming weeks to ensure I get some decent produce during the summer and beyond?

Any tips, advice or further reading would be welcomed.

Thank you

Heather

15/05/2014 at 22:55

Hello Blooming. What a lovely puzzle you have to work on there. It sounds perfect.

Yes, do test the soil.

Other than that I can't be of much help except to say this: grow things that you like to eat and in the sort of quantities that you can deal with. It sounds daft, but I end up every year with rows of lettuces that I can't keep up with and me the only person in the house who will eat them.

15/05/2014 at 23:41

Hi

Full sun is good, just remember to water!  Couple of other things, remember to rotate your beds each year, dont grow the same thing in the same beds every year.  And, try your local garden centre (or roadside seller) for stuff just that they have started off and bung them in.  Happy growing.

16/05/2014 at 01:24

You are in plenty of time to grow runner beans, courgettes, outdoor tomatoes, salads, maincrop peas, and I'd give potatoes a go too. Even though it is late for them, you should be able to get a crop off them before the frosts come, and they open up new ground beautifully - worth growing them for that alone. How about a few rows of flowers for cutting? Best of luck to you anyway.

16/05/2014 at 09:00

Try dwarf french beans too - they don't take so long to crop as runners. 

nin
16/05/2014 at 10:15

Wow it sounds a great area to work in.

If you have lots to do why not consider buying baby veg plants in; there are some great on line providers and lots of small plants in the garden center at the moment. You could then supplement with some plants from seed and work up to sowing lots of seed next spring.

16/05/2014 at 12:14

Hello all,

Thank you very much for all the advice. Buying young plants is a great idea...I will visit my local garden centre and have a peek at what they've got.

Thank you again

16/05/2014 at 14:18

I took over my allotment about this time of year a few years ago and the first year I just grew quick crops from seed such as lettuce, radish, munchen bier (like a radish but you each the seedpods, not the roots), peas sown for their shoots and herbs such as basil, corriander.

If you buy small plants in from the garden centre you could have beans (runner/french), sweecorn, leeks.

Good luck with your plans!

19/05/2014 at 08:44

Like you, we took over a large garden and wanted a veg plot. I don't know what your budget is, but we opted for raised beds surrounded by gravel (which obviously costs more to set up than just digging a bed).

I love my raised beds and find it keeps the veg and fruit area accessible in all weathers. I never dig it, just fork over lightly witha hand-fork. We have some beds with fixed crops (soft fruit, rhubarb, asparagus) and the rest of the space is used in rotation for all the other veg. Asparagus and carrots do particularly well in raised beds; brassicas don't do so well as they like firm soil.

Do remember to build yourself a big compost bay with two or more sections, as you'll be producing masses of useable waste in a big garden, and your veg will love the results.

email image
9 messages