Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

veg suitable for shade.

Sue HSue H Posts: 415
Anyone have any suggestions as to what, if any, vegetables or fruit are suitable for a shady area?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Not many cope well with shade but salads don't lik eto be baked so I grow min in the shadiest bed although it does get full sun around the summer solstice.   Swiss chard does well there too so I expect spinach would cope well and herbs such as parsley, chervil and mint do well.    I have a patch of alpine strawberies quietly spreading in a shady area too, agian with full sun at the solstice.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 460

brassicas and spinach, lettuce and it's varients will do ok, but not their best, leeks again will do ok.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

You can grow lettuces and salad leaves, leafy veg such as spinach, chard, broccoli and brussels sprouts, and peas and beans. But not in full shade, OK in dappled shade or partial shade with a minimum of 3 hours sun.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Lizzie. This area only gets about 1 hr a day. Shade is from house. So no chance of moving it.
  • Kenc3Kenc3 Posts: 9

It will be very hard to grow a good amount of vegetables in this area. Most veg suitable to the shade still need at least 3 hours of sun a day; for example lettuce, radishes, sprouts, broccoli, and peas etc.

• Hi all, maybe you should grow in pots .This way you can get some sun and grow a bigger variety of veg . Ta Debra

• Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Yes always grow stuff all over. Just want to utilize this area. Every inch countsimageimage
  • cj modencj moden Posts: 6

probably something in the 3 hours sun , last year i had a good crop of spinach and swiss chard ,radishes , salad leaves , but half a dozen beetroot plants in same location were a complete disaster