London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
20 messages
18/01/2014 at 22:29
I've been looking at these grow pots and unsure whether they are worth investing in. Has anyone used them and do they help yield more fruit/make it easier to have successful tomatoes and cucumbers etc?? I am thinking if getting 6-9 and planting all my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in them, any thoughts / advice welcome. http://www.selections.com/tomato-and-vegetable-growbag-pots-6.html
18/01/2014 at 23:05

I've not seen them before, but by the description, there is no reason why they wouldn't work. It makes watering easy and the root structure would have more room, which in theory works. They seem new but someone may know more.

18/01/2014 at 23:08
I've seen them on another website but they are twice the price, at ??9.99 for 6 I might give them a go.
20/01/2014 at 10:59
Any more thoughts anyone?
21/01/2014 at 22:22

I use these for indoor tomatoes and cucumbers, and the extra soil depth really makes a difference at the back end of the season.  You would still need to feed plants regularly,  but I find the grow-pots maintain a more consistent moisture level than just using grow bags. Give it a go!

21/01/2014 at 22:58
Thanks Corinne, I think I am going to give them a try, not a lot of feedback but I TK they could be beneficial for a novice like me and they aren't too expensive if bought off the website linked to this one (I can't remember the name). Thanks again.
22/01/2014 at 08:41

I use them for my cucumbers but for my tomatoes I use flower buckets on top of the grobags.

Pam LL x

22/01/2014 at 14:09

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36357.jpg?width=385&height=350&mode=max

22/01/2014 at 16:17

That's a lovely picture.

Roll on the hot and productive times.

22/01/2014 at 17:31
Wow, your greenhouse looks great. I hope my can resemble something like that this summer as it never has before, fingers crossed.
22/01/2014 at 18:40

Nice one Pam! 

Did give em a bash last year

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36361.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

but felt no more beneficial than the bottomless flower bucket technique "Lilylouise" as shown, will revert back to that this year! Will give the cucumbers a go in em this Year though! See how we go! 

22/01/2014 at 19:24
Those tomato plants look amazing, in both pics. I might be coming to you both for advice in a few months!! My tomatoes have never looked like that, I have only tried growing them twice. Lilylouise, what are those on the staging, or does it just look like they are on staging?
22/01/2014 at 19:57

I grow my Peppers,Chillies,Aubergines and lots of different Basils on the staging Tracey This year I am going to try Okra ,too

Pam LL x

22/01/2014 at 20:01
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t566/esthergray1/veg006_zpsd7d020cb.jpg

This is a display os some of my summer veggies from last year

22/01/2014 at 20:03
Oh my Lilylouise, they look amazing. I really hope I can post pics of my fruit looking so good later in the year. I'm debating whether to do courgettes as we eat loads of them, but not sure. I am definitely growing toms, cucumber, peppers and chillies.
22/01/2014 at 20:03

Hi Lilylouise-

I take it you've tried various methods of growing toms in the past.

Have you found that this method of bottomless pots into growbags has been the most productive yet?

Thanks.

22/01/2014 at 20:12

Hello spottedray  Well it works for me - I have been growing my tomatoes like that for a few years now - I have found it is better to grow only 2 plants per grobag

Pam LLx

I hope you have a really good veggie year Tracey  I don't grow the courgettes in the greenhouse by the way.

Have you bought your tomato seeds yet?

PamLLx

22/01/2014 at 20:17
No, not bought any veg seeds yet. That was going to be one of my next questions once I had sorted my flowering plants, which I think I now have I have just read in the latest mag that courgettes go outside, but does that apply all over the country as it tends to be a bit colder 'up North'! Any recommendations on any veg seeds greatly received, there are so many varieties and I don't really understand all the F1 etc on seed packets.
22/01/2014 at 20:28

F1 means that the seeds have been bred for uniformity etc. and that is why they cost more.If you wanted to save your own seeds from F1's they wouldn't grow true to form.

You could start your courgettes off in your greenhouse - sow the seeds 4 -5 weeks before the last frost and pot them on if needs be and you will have good sized plants to plant in the garden.

Tomatoes that did well for me last year included Marinda,a large beefy type,Katiebell ,a small yellow  plum ,Luciebell,a small red plum - I got these from seeds of distinction.Simpsons seeds have a good range of tomato seeds,too. I also grow

Sungold,Sun Cherry Premium,Old Ivory Egg ,Ferline and Shirley.

Pam LL x

22/01/2014 at 20:36
Thanks Pam. I've just found another thread that KEF bumped up for me (I was Tracey5 but changed my name as it was rubbish) but I missed it and they are talking about varieties on that. I've decided on Sungold I think and will research others. I just googled F1 hybrid so understand that a bit better. I won't be keeping my own seeds for now, I need to focus on growing and actually getting some fruit!!!
email image
20 messages