Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Vegetable seeds

I have one packet each of leek and parsnip seeds which apparently should be sown by the end of this year! Is it too late, please?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Girasole it is too late for this year and parsnip seeds don't keep well. The leeks will be fine for next year. A lot of seeds last years beyond the sow by date but not parsnip.

• GirasoleGirasole Posts: 193

Many thanks for your prompt reply, KEF. I shall hold onto the leek seeds until next year then and dispose of the parsnip ones asap!

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    KEF is right, but there is nothing to be lost by trying the parsnips next year, you may get lucky and find some germinate, try germinating them on a piece of kichen roll, that way you know what should grow when you transplant them outside image

Bekkie I wouldn't use the old ones. The length of time it takes parsnips to germinate it's better to use fresh seed so if the old seeds don't germinate you haven't lost growing time, I would also sow directly into soil imageimage...expert here who has grown them twice image

Ive done ok with them, never done the kitchen towel thing, but plan to try it, i always found some germinated, it always made up for me sowing waaay to thickly image

Been having a nightmare with swede tho! Since i started trying to grow them in the garden, i have had almost total failure! No idea why image

Would you mind if I also ask about aubergine seeds which apparently expire this year? I have just been through my seed box and also came across these!

Aubergine should be okay image It's only parsnip that don't germinate well if kept beyond recommended date. I've got a lot of seeds that are out of date and okay some loss of germination but enough will grow.

Ive never done aubergine, sorry, but as you raise those indoors anyway, i cant see the harm in trying a few next year, ive never heard anything saying not to use expired aubergine seeds. The thing is, seeds are programmed to grow, if they can they will, the vast majority of veggies etc are no trouble at all, trust me, if i can do it, anyone can! image

Many thanks KEF and bekkie hughes for both your replies - nothing ventured nothing gained but I think 150 seeds is a bit excessive so I shall share quite a few!

Very true! image

Ive no idea why they put so many seeds in a pack, esp the ones you cant keep for long! I use the leftover seeds of anything with edible leaves for micro greens image