London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
6 messages
05/02/2013 at 23:16
06/02/2013 at 00:08

What?

02/03/2013 at 11:24

Gowing veg for the first time this year and found these charts about growing veg.

Question is are they ture or is there more to growing veg than these charts say?

http://www.flickr.com//photos/93650239@N03/sets/72157632892514649/show/

02/03/2013 at 16:28

Well if I was starting vegetable growing for the first time I would stick to EASY vegetables and leave the difficult ones for a few years.

I am sure the information will be correct but it might be better if you stuck to just a few vegetables for a few years unless you have a large area of prepared soil, otherwise you will wear yourself out and be put off.

Stick to vegetables which bring joy.  Your first self-dug potatoes. Lettuces fresh from the garden.  Fresh, fresh peas.  French and runner beans. Fresh picked, sun-ripened tomatoes.  Your own strawberries. There are so many to chose from.  Enjoy

02/03/2013 at 19:57

The guides are good for information like sowing times, germination and cropping times. I just clicked on a couple and french beans are easy to grow, aubergines a little trickier, the information for these is correct. I've put the charts in my favourites as a guide

Growing veg, is relatively straight forward and as you learn you realise things like feeding the soil and crop rotation is necessary. You also learn a load of other stuff too. 

The weather can sometimes determine whether a crop does well in a given year for instance my beans and pea's liked all the rain we had last year and did well but may not do as well in a dry year without regular watering.

Where you live  in the country and in which country you live can also determine what you can grow more successfully for instance grapes can be grown outdoor down South but probably not in Scotland.

Pests and diseases will also effect the growing fruit and veg. You do need to be vigilant. Prevention is always better than cure, for instance keeping down the slug population, for these you need an arsenal of defences and netting some veg from birds and butterflies.

It's all good fun though and well worth the effort. Home grown fruit and veg usually tastes far better than anything bought in shops. It's not flown half way round the world either to get to your plate, in my case just several ft down the garden path... and you can grow stuff not bought in the shops, not many sell yellow courgettes.   

Happy growing.

02/03/2013 at 21:58

dont forget that by growing marigolds lavender,and nastutums they will atract many pests that would otherwise nibble your veg,like the old cottage gardeners used to

email image
6 messages