London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
81 to 100 of 137 messages
14/01/2014 at 18:57

Thanks a lot for that Dove.  I don't often get to a farm shop as I don't drive but I'll get 

my OH to take me there this weekend, to see if they have Baby Gems.   It just it shows it can be done, but perhaps it doesn't pay the growers if they try to

grow too much lettuce here in the winter months  - I love salad all the year round

but I expect lots of people don't like it in the cold weather. 

15/01/2014 at 21:41
I am new to this veg growing just built two raised beds getting topsoil tomorrow then what do i do please help
16/01/2014 at 13:31

FFB, you could grow your own in a greenhouse, polytunnel or coldframe.  I can't see winter salads being of interest to UK commercial growers given the vagaries of a British winter and how much it costs to maintain even growing conditions - shelter, heat, water and nutrients plus labour costs for sowing, pricking on, weeding and pest control and then quality control and packing and transport.

16/01/2014 at 13:41

Steven - Put the topsoil in your raised beds and then leave it a few days to settle.   It's too early for sowing most plants yet as the days are too short so the seedlings will not have enough daylight to keep them sturdy and healthy.   You might get away with sowing broad beans and sweet peas depending on where you live.

You could cover your beds with black plastic to warm them up so that when you do sow or plant, your babies will get away faster.    In the mean time, get a good basic veg growing book such as the Dr Hessayon one, have a look at this almanac for ideas of when and what - http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/   Check out seed catalogues online and order some of what you fancy growing then arm yourself with seed trays and seed sowing compost and give it a go,

16/01/2014 at 16:29
For novices/beginners I recommend http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/ - you can pick and choose which bits you want to read...
20/01/2014 at 14:54
Just joined this forum but have had a love of gardening and tinkering in the back yard for years. How to pick your collective brains over the following months etc!
20/01/2014 at 15:01

Hello Boingey, welcome

28/02/2014 at 13:09

I have planted a sunflower seed and it about a inch high but it still has the seed on the top is this normal any help please 

28/02/2014 at 13:18

Yes, it's something that sometimes happens - probably because the shell of the seed is a bit dry and unbendy - the leaves will eventually break free on their own,  but if you're careful you may be able to ease it off without doing any damage.  

28/02/2014 at 14:03

Thank you that's a great help 

01/03/2014 at 16:28

At what height do I put a support in with my sunflower help needed please

01/03/2014 at 18:06

Can I ask a question please. I'm new to growing my own. I started last spring and learnt a lot in my first season. I started planting seeds this weekend in window propagators but I was just wondering if  there's any kind of weather report that can inform me if the frost has passed so I can start planting my seeds out direct. I've googled it but all sorts of stuff come up and obviously weather reports only go a week in advance. Thanks so much. Emma

01/03/2014 at 18:27

You'll have to ask Nutcutlet when the last frost is in  Peterborough, but here in Nottingham, I don't plant anything tender out until late May, and then I have fleece ready just in case.  A lot of hardy things such as carrots can be sown outside this month. The frost won't harm them.

01/03/2014 at 18:54

Misselong, I answered your question on another thread

01/03/2014 at 19:28

Is there anyone here from the northeast

Edd
02/03/2014 at 08:25

Yes Steven. There are a couple of us on here of late and a few further north.

02/03/2014 at 09:01

Were u you from like edd mate

02/03/2014 at 09:04

Steven, if you click on a poster's name above the post, you'll see their personal profile which usually includes the area where they live.  Edd's from Co. Durham  so can't be far from you.

10/03/2014 at 14:41

Hi allJust joined the site.  Been gardening since I were a lad but don't have one of my own, other than a tiny shady yard.  I run a garden as a part-time job, though; help in another one and have a sort of allotment, so I tend to have dirty fingernails most of the time!

Happy to help with advice where  I can - in between asking for it of course!

10/03/2014 at 14:45

Emma/Misselong

Experience used to be the guide, but in recent years that doesn't seem to have been very reliable.  Fleece or other coverings are a good idea.  I sometimes use old windows (usually salvaged from skips) or halves of plastic bottles etc. as mini-cloches but you need to make sure they're ventilated, especially when it's sunny if you want to avoid premature cooking, not to mention the dread fungal diseases!

81 to 100 of 137 messages