London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
18/02/2013 at 21:20
Hello folks, may I ask what else other than tomatoes and cucumbers is good to grow in a greenhouse? It's my first year as a proud owner of one. Can I grow onions and garlic in them? Thanking you for any tips!
18/02/2013 at 21:24
You can grow your onions and garlic outside, I grow chilli, herbs like basil , and I use mine for flowers sowing/seedlings, making cuttings from plants etc .
I don't grow much veg but if that is what you prefer to grow I am sure someone will point you in the right direction .
18/02/2013 at 21:25
Onions and garlic are hardy so may be happier out in the elements. Peppers, chilies, aubergines will appreciate the gh shelter.
18/02/2013 at 21:29

Last year was my first year with a proper greenhouse (not a plastic one that I had to lash to the concrete fence posts with rope!). I grew cucumbers, greenhouse toms, aubergines and peppers. I have over wintered my little bay as have lost bays 2 years running out of doors. And have an apricot ready to do in a fan shape on the back wall - it is a lean-to greenhouse. I too grew basil and coriander, also strawberries.Aubergines were a grafted type, expensive but worth it.

18/02/2013 at 21:34

Tootles dont be in a rush-there are stil plenty of cold nights to come-dont go putting out tender veg or seedlings in the greenhouse yet

18/02/2013 at 21:36
Weather man Geoff has spoken.... be warned
18/02/2013 at 21:40
Thanks sotongeoff. I'll hold fire and perhaps just buy some seeds for now. Heck, I planted some kohl rabi seeds and they are up too! Luckily there are lots of seeds in the packet so enough to take-two when it is warmer.
18/02/2013 at 21:45
I'll get some basil and chilli seeds ooh and aubergine too!

Thanks sooooo much for the advice folks.

I am warned bunnysgarden! Am still a novice and can't hold my water - I'd be out there now if it wasn't for an early start for work tomorrow!
18/02/2013 at 21:51
I'm a novice too tootles , learning constantly
18/02/2013 at 21:58
It's great fun isn't it? I used to spend weekends shopping and pottering aimlessly. Now I can't wait to grow stuff! Lots of trial and error. I hope you have lots of success bunnysgarden. Got a favourite plant yet?
19/02/2013 at 07:39
I have far too many favourites, going to try some different ones this year, although -5 here this morning brr.
19/02/2013 at 10:07
Hello Tootles I am lucky that I have 3 greenhouses- one was inherited from my Aunt,another I won in a competition and the largest one we bought secondhand
You will so enjoy yourself this year-I absolutely love my greenhouses - I grow tomatoes,peppers,chillies,aubergine ,cucumbers and 7 or 8 kinds of Basil's in the largest greenhouse,pot plants e.g begonias,streptocarpus,gloxinias,Archimedes etc. in what I call the new greenhouse(even though it is a few years old now) and anything left over goes in Aunties greenhouse along with some summer bulbs e.g polianthes tuberosa ,hymenocallis and bressera
I hope you have a very successful year
Pam LL x
19/02/2013 at 16:26

I'm a new gardener too and have a large, plastic walk in  greenhouse and a couple of small 4 shelf ones - all unheated - and I wonderd if these would be warm enough to put my plant and tomato seeds in next month??

19/02/2013 at 16:42
Bookwormy wrote (see)

I'm a new gardener too and have a large, plastic walk in  greenhouse and a couple of small 4 shelf ones - all unheated - and I wonderd if these would be warm enough to put my plant and tomato seeds in next month??

Unlikely-the daytime temperatures will be up-hopefully- but the nights will still be cold

From sowing tomato seeds allow at least 6 weeks before you have a good size plant-so sowing at the beginning of March should produce some good plants by mid-April which is a more optimum time for growing under cover

Start them off indoors with a bit of heat soon-likewise tender bedding etc

19/02/2013 at 19:04
Hi lilylouise, wow your greenhouse setup sounds fabulous! Lucky you for winning one! Do you end up with a lot of lovely produce? Has your largest one got beds inside? Do you change the soil very often or can you get by with adding nutrients and feed to it? Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Hope you've warmed up bunnysgarden. It was an exotic -4 where I live!
19/02/2013 at 19:06

Let's think..  Aphids, spider mite, tomato moth, white fly, vine weevil..

Oh, sorry, you meant plants!

Go for tasty stuff and things that are expensive in the shops. Chillis/peppers/aubergines are a good bet on that score.  

22/02/2013 at 14:48

I grow Basil with my tomatoes, It's supposed to improve the flavour of the Toms, haven't noticed the difference but it does save space.

This year I'm going to try cucamelons - grape size watermelons with a hint of Lime

22/02/2013 at 19:14
Tootles wrote (see)
Hi lilylouise, wow your greenhouse setup sounds fabulous! Lucky you for winning one! Do you end up with a lot of lovely produce? Has your largest one got beds inside? Do you change the soil very often or can you get by with adding nutrients and feed to it? Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Hope you've warmed up bunnysgarden. It was an exotic -4 where I live!

Hello Tootles - all my greenhouses have a path with gravel each side so I don't actually plant into the border.I do usually get a lovely harvest  Pam LL x

This is my pot plant greenhouse in summer

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/cobea025-1.jpg

This is my big greenhouse

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/011.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/streptocarpus015.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/onions011.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/carrotsandgh008.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/carrotsandgh005.jpg

22/02/2013 at 19:47
Still frozen hehehe

Wow Pam you need your own tv show !!!!
22/02/2013 at 20:23

Oh I am so jealous, my greenhouse is only 8x10' and crammed full very untidily in the Summer

1 to 20 of 25 messages