Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

what can you start now

hello,

i went on holiday for a month and my friend was ment to water and air the little green house i have but forgot, toms not looking well, chillis dead and strawbs gone, basicaly its all lost as its been vrey hot here.

What sort of things if any could i start now from seed or small bought plants that i could grow and eat, things that dont need to come inside when it starts getting cold in a couple of months, no more room on the windows.

Thanks for any advice.

• I have just sown some seeds of Land Cress, Swiss Chard and carrots. I have never sown carrots so late before, so it's a bit of an experiment. The others should come up OK and last through the winter,

• Miss BecksMiss Becks Posts: 3,468

I have done the same as you Green Magpie. I put some more Carrot seeds in this morning, in a container. Worth a try. image

• As has been said, Swiss Chard should go in now.  You can sow Lambs lettuce to grow through the autumn and winter, and winter lettuce can go in now - Valdor is a good variety - it might need a little protection from fleece or a cloche if the weather gets very bad, but if you can give it a little tlc it'll produce a good crop.

It'll soon be time to set garlic cloves and to sow Broad Bean Aquadulce Claudia for an early crop next year.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've just sown some winter spinach, as all my cabbages have just been ravaged by caterpillars and needed to be thrown away!

• that will do nicely, im on my way to the shops now image, are all carrot ok or is there one that stands more chance of lasting.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Chinese Greens such as Pak Choi and Japanese Mizuna can be sown now for a quick crop that shoul dbe ready by October.

I have some carrots I sowed in pots in the second week of August which have germinated well and are now 2" high which is 2" more than the ones I've sown in the ground for the last 4 years.  The pots were a last ever chance for them but it seems to be the way to go.  Now we're back from hols I can move them to a sunny site at the front as they no longer need to be grouped in the shade for automatic watering and that should speed up growth.

You can plant onion sets for a crop next July and spring cababge plugs if you can find them.  Bit late for sowing them though.  It's also a good time to plant a new starwberry patch.

I'm also going to have  a go at a last crop of beets, turnips and spnach in teh hope they'll germintae quickly in the September warmth.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • truck60truck60 Posts: 4

can i plant carrot seed now

planted tomatoes c]flower cabbage onions brocoli leeks all seed  in g house lettuice

flowers lobelia sweet pea pancys egg plant lupins wall flowers

hopeing for the best lol xx

ps novice cant do emails

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Carrots should be sown directly where they're going to grow. They don't transplant. They also need soil temps (as opposed to air temps) around 15C to give the seeds a good chance to germinate.

• Just planted 25 broad beans in peat pots and a 1/2  tray of summer cabbage 1/2 tray of leeks in my un heated greenhouse.    With the expected cold spell next week do I need to cover them with glass over the pots or should they be ok.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    BensGrandad wrote (see)

Just planted 25 broad beans in peat pots and a 1/2  tray of summer cabbage 1/2 tray of leeks in my un heated greenhouse.    With the expected cold spell next week do I need to cover them with glass over the pots or should they be ok.

They are hardy veg-do not molly coodle them.