London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
4 messages
30/07/2013 at 19:14

My pak choi and rocket are covered in tiny holes to such an extent that they are now inedible, this happened pretty quickly, in a couple of days. I have noticed that they have shiny black beetle looking things on them, they have also attacked my radishes. Any ideas on what they are and how to get rid of them, I prefer to use natural methods if possible.

Thanks in advance

30/07/2013 at 19:19

flea beetles. One method is to get some card and smear it with something sticky, such as jam ( choose one you don't like, the beetles aren't fussy though). Go up to the plants and with one handtouch the leaves and hold the card over the plant about 6 inches above it. The beetles will jump up and get stuck to the jam. No kidding.

What you do with a piece of card covered in jam and flea beetles is up to you.

31/07/2013 at 11:33

Thanks I think I may be better off to pull up the plants and start again, and try the jam trick if the beetles come back. Will it be ok to put the plants in the compost bin if the beetles are still on them, or is it better to put them in the brown bin as an industial composter will sort them out?

31/07/2013 at 11:53

No need to worry about the beetles - they can go on the compost where they wil die for lack of food.

email image
4 messages