London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
28/07/2014 at 09:24

I'm told the trick with scorzonera is to grow it in rich sandy soil in a tub.  When the time comes to harvest it (preferably after a frost), you tip out the contents onto a sheet of plastic, when it's easy to separate roots from soil.

All well and good -- if only the seeds would germinate, and the seedlings not damp off.  Can anyone tell the secret of getting scorzonera to grow at all?

28/07/2014 at 10:27

KEF...my OH eats loads of pickled gherkins!!! I'm going to try them next year.

I am debating whether to not grow Brussels sprouts again, I don't think I'll have any for Christmas. Third time if trying and potentially thud time of failing 

Also Aubergines, taking over my GH with lots of leaves and a few pretty lilac flowers, but that's it, I'd heard (after I'd sown the seed) that they were hard to get any fruit from so at least I know it's not just me!! 

28/07/2014 at 10:35

I don't seem to have much luck with Scarlet Globe Radishes - admittedly the first rows were 2nd infill crops between peas and the peas covered them before they could mature but the later ones I've sown don't look like they are coming to anything either.

French Breakfast grow well for me though, in fact I even had a 2nd infill row almost get to maturity even surrounded by peas (a few were usable, and then lack of access to light stopped the rest growing any more), so I'll probably concentrate my efforts on these in the future.

28/07/2014 at 10:46

I will not bother to grow International Kidney pot's next year, they have been a real let down with very little taste. 

Also, I tried a dwarf pea plant this year called Tom Thumb. Will not grow that again either, extremely disappointing.

I grow in pots and containers on a south/south west facing patio, so tomato's always do extremely well and I currently have 7 plants bearing lots of fruits.

31/07/2014 at 16:17

one thing I grew last year for the first time and will grow from now on is New Zealand Yam. tough as old boots (no watering, no earthing up, a little weeding, no noticeable pests that I can see)

you can eat the leaves, stems and flowers in salads, 

harvest them in November once the tops are dead due to frost, and they taste great roasted with the xmas dinner!

some stayed in the ground till February and most were ok, some near the surface has some minor slug damage

31/07/2014 at 18:08
Not too much treehugger, i was advised that newzeland yam contains oxalic acid, esp in the leaves, but that could be because i eat a lot of anything!
email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages