London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
5 messages
19/04/2013 at 17:09

Hello everyone! First time posting on here, please know I'm amateur to say the least.

http://i48.tinypic.com/9a1izm.jpg

Anyway, hopefully you can see from the picture that the Broccoli I have sewn have become quite spindly and leggy (to not use a technical term ). I'm unsure of what I should do now as I don't want them to get too big for the pots. Not sure they shouldn't have been planted in something bigger to be honest but there we go...

Any advice? Should I get them in the ground and cover them with a cloche? Any help is always much appreciated. 

19/04/2013 at 18:47

They are still tiny so ok in those modules for now.  Thin them out so there is only one per module by pulling up all but the strongest seedling in each module (eg if there are two and one is tall and leggy while the other is short and fat, discard the leggy one.)  They should be planted out when they have 5 true leaves, but not before the last frost has passed.  If they seem to be out-growing the modules before then, pot them on into 3" pots.  When you finally do plant them out, plant them so that the point where the lowest leaf emerges from the stem is at ground level, and firm the soil well.

At this stage, they need as much light as possible rather than warmth - a cold frame or unheated greenhouse is ideal.

19/04/2013 at 19:22

Thank you Bob. That's very helpful and I'm very grateful! 

19/04/2013 at 20:04

You're welcome JenniBee.  Good luck with everything - I noticed you have a lot of other things on the go in the photo!

19/04/2013 at 20:21
I certainly do! I've got the one's you see and a lot more beside. A mix of veg, herbs and flowers. All for our freshly made over garden. Roll on summer!
email image
5 messages