London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
14 messages
20/06/2014 at 15:18

Hi All,

Following on from another post of mine this is the first time ihave grown garlic and a few of the plants started to get rust. I caught it in time (I hope) removed all the infected leaves and left it in the ground. Anyway a couple of the stunted leaves were turning brown so I thought I would heft those ones up as I doubt they would grow any more.

So I have harvested them but now what? Everyone says you need the roots and leaves to cure and store but they have no leaves now. So can I still cure them but not store them? Should I break them all apart and freeze the cloves ready for planting in October? Or should I just eat them?

Any help on this would be great. I can follow 'internet instructions' on the ones that are left as they seem to be ok but im a bit lost as to what to do with these three bulbs....by the way they are big still as they were planted in Oct last year and they smell divine.

Thanks all

James

20/06/2014 at 15:27

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50032.jpg?width=688&height=350&mode=max

20/06/2014 at 17:26

James.......it's up to you...........you can eat them now as green garlic or you can use the stems to tie them up in a cool, airy place to use as and when you want.

I should add that storage will depend on the type of Garlic you have............hard necked or soft necked........one keeps, the other is not so good but can't remember which is which.....sorry about that

20/06/2014 at 17:33

Do not freeze the cloves if you plan to plant them in the Autumn.

Store them and only plant the cloves from the outside of the bulb.  They are the biggest and best.

20/06/2014 at 19:07

Ok but im still a bit lost, will they cure without the leaves?

20/06/2014 at 19:59

Yes............if you store them correctly

20/06/2014 at 20:10

what is rust and can it be prevented..

20/06/2014 at 23:12

You can get rust preventative. Its a fungal disease.

21/06/2014 at 22:52

thank you

22/06/2014 at 11:02
Regarding only using the outside cloves, when I planted mine last Autumn I separated them as an experiment. Having harvested all my garlic over the last two days, I found no difference between the crop.
22/06/2014 at 11:08
Hmm, I've just harvested mine. Shame as some of the bulbs appear to have split although I don't think I've had them in the ground too long? They were autumn planted. Some orange maggots around the roots too so not sure if they're to blame?
22/06/2014 at 12:25

When I say use the cloves from the outside of the bulb, you will have noticed that those are the largest cloves, and they are smaller towards the centre of the bulb.  I eat those. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you separated them as an experiment.  You have to look carefully at each clove to ensure it is not a double one, and plant them individually.

I believe in giving plants the best head-start I can.  In the same way when planting, say, bean seeds, I plant the biggest first.

22/06/2014 at 12:37

That seems a good idea, Welshonion. 

Gloria, rust is a fungal disease producing rust-coloured spots on the leaves.  It comes from long grass (which it also infects) so try and keep that down.  Infected plants need removing to prevent spreading the disease to others of the onion family.  It looks like this:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50244.jpg?width=286&height=350&mode=max

22/06/2014 at 13:18
I mean I separated the small cloves and the large cloves and planted in the same area but in different rows. As I also said, there was no noticeable difference in the harvest whether they were from outer or inner cloves.
email image
14 messages