London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
27/06/2013 at 00:25

In big trouble today....keep called people he instead of she.  So I apologise now and for repeating it in the future.  I am but a simple Cornish yokel you see.

Michael, I used to put it on very thickly on the soil surface in the autumn. it did a few things......it prevented weeds, its texture deterred slugs n snails as well as its saltyness, it provided alginic acid (I think I have that correct) which helped bind together the sandy particles in my soil. It provided nutrients in small quantities too so plants, veg, etc., weren't over fed and it rotted down beautifully come the spring leaving enough material to continue deterring those molluscs.  

I didn't wash the salt out of it....islanders everywhere used it as is as we do/ did here without worrying about the salt content.  Yes, used it in my compost heaps too....it's texture mixed well with the other materials there.  Putting it down in autumn will take some nitrogen from the soil but since few things grow then it did no harm.  Come the spring and summer the nitrogen will have been returned to the soil.

It certainly was best soil conditioner I used....and weed free!

KEF
27/06/2013 at 07:01

bump

nin
01/07/2013 at 17:32

Thanks for all the tips not sure about the miricle grow never have been to be honest. But will deffinatly top up with blood fish and bone.

Looks like i got it right to start with as all raised bed area were dug out completly 6- 8 inches filled with well rotted farm yard 4-6 inches and then re filled with sieved soil then stirred in a quantity of goat manure 1/2 an inch and then with purchased soil 6 inches to half fill the beds. Planning on topping up next year with more of the rotted stuff or some goat and more purchased soil.

Might just do a sprinle of blood fish and bone later in the summer and feed the pots and the squash with tom food.

01/07/2013 at 20:12

I put liquid horse manure.. I made it in a black bin.. it does stink to high heaven but the plants love it,,,, For some reason I dont use it on the strawberries though....

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages